General consencus of PSA uppers?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > General consencus of PSA uppers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default General consencus of PSA uppers?

I am gearing up to start my first build. Does anyone have any experience with PSA uppers? I have read many of you talking about the lowers (so much so that I am planning on using one myself).

It will be used as a range rifle and will more than likely end up tuning some hand loads to shoot for accuracy.

I am looking at a stainless barrel (good idea?) and free float midlength hand guards. Also, I am considering an 18" bull barrel. Is there much difference between the 16" and 18"? I like the idea of the 1:8 twist allowing to shoot heavier weight bullets as well as the cheap 55gn.

I have been reading all I can find and have an idea of what I am looking. However I am here posting so I am obviously more that open to ANY ideas/suggestions/advice you all may have.

Finally, the $$ I an issue here which is why I am not looking at RRA and others. If I should wait to spend extra cash for a better upper that is fine but I am definitely an instant gratification kind of a guy!

Thank you gentlemen!

RLTW!

Mala Malis Facimus

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I really want the PSA SS 1:8 upper myself. Go for it, they've been getting great reviews.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
I really want the PSA SS 1:8 upper myself. Go for it, they've been getting great reviews.
Where are you reading reviews? I can't seem to find them.

RLTW!

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 08-12-2011, 03:33 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Look here, and the other AR15/M4 forums. m4carbine.net, ar15chatterbox.com, ar15.com, etc.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #5

I have PSA 16" Premium Upper Carbine length. I have a thread which I gave some range review with it. The rifle is super accurate right out of the box. PSA will give you the best bang for your bucks IMO. I have read some good reviews about their SS upper as well. I'm sure you'll be happy with a PSA upper. Their barrels are lead lapped so you don't even have to spend time breaking it in as well. PSA products are just full of quality without punching a hole in your wallet. They're pushing out some 16/18" CHF barrel middy options soon (they said next month or so) so you might want to wait for that unless you want SS more. Also about the twist I've been shooting 55gr with 1:7 twist and the thing still as accurate as heavier gr ammo. I don't think it will matter much unless you go out further than 200-300 yards. I personally would go with a CHF or just a chrome lined 4150 with 1:7 twist barrel for durability and to meet mil specs standards =p

PS: Did I mention they will even zero the iron sight out for you if you get one from them? Or if you get any other accesories they will also install it on with no additional charges.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #6

Thank you gentlemen, keep them coming!

RLTW!

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 08-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP1394-RLTW View Post
Thank you gentlemen, keep them coming!

RLTW!
How about you have that PSA SS 1:8 upper shipped to my house and I'll test it out for you

Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

How about you have that PSA SS 1:8 upper shipped to my house and I'll test it out for you
I'll get right on that!

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 08-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #9

I ordered and received the PSA 16" SS Midlength (under 6 days shipped).

I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but the fit and finish is high quality.

FWIW - The understanding is that the SS barrels are made by Wilson Combat.

Lots of positive discussions about PSA on the AR15 related forums.

(Not affiliated in any way with PSA).

Old 08-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSteel View Post
I ordered and received the PSA 16" SS Midlength (under 6 days shipped).

I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but the fit and finish is high quality.

FWIW - The understanding is that the SS barrels are made by Wilson Combat.

Lots of positive discussions about PSA on the AR15 related forums.

(Not affiliated in any way with PSA).

Yeah it seems like a lot of their components are made from high quality manufacturer. Like their CHF barrels are made by FN. And their price is just hard to beat. I have not been able to find exact configuration from anyone else with the price as low as PSA. I'm definitely buying another from them when I build again.