Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Gas Tube Removal (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/gas-tube-removal-30165/)

Tackleberry1 08-07-2010 06:27 PM

Gas Tube Removal

Having some failure to feed issues with my bushy. many, many, many rounds through her over 8 years. gas rings seem ok and spaced properly. thought i'd pull the gas tube for cleaning/inspection but i've never done it before.

1. any special tools needed?
2. no idea where to start

i would appreciate a step by step from you AR builders out there.

Thanks

TACK

Dzscubie 08-07-2010 06:54 PM

Tack,

Have you checked the gas key on the bolt carrier to make sure it has not gotten loose this can allow for gas to escape and cause your rifle to short stroke.

Gatekeeper 08-07-2010 07:01 PM

Sent you a PM Tack

Jpyle 08-07-2010 09:45 PM

Assuming all goes well with removal I would recommend just replacing it. They cost about $20 and it's no harder to put a new one back on plus you eliminate any guesswork about the old one. Aside from fouling the ends can mushroom or disfigure causing an improper seat in the key.

Quentin 08-07-2010 11:23 PM

I'm with Dzscubie, might as well be absolutely certain the gas key and rings are good before tackling the gas tube. The tube usually is pretty much self cleaning and normally doesn't foul up. The tip that mates with the gas key can oval out and make for a poor gas seal.

Oh, I guess you're saying the rifle short strokes?

wjkuleck 08-08-2010 04:18 AM

Remove the roll pin that secures the gas tube to the front sight block/gas block. Pull the gas tube rearward out of the block. There is a handy-dandy little tool available to grab the tube without damaging it. However, if you are replacing the tube, feel free to mar the tube with pliers or vise grips or whatever.

A proper-size roll pin punch (for removal) and roll pin starter punch (for installation) will make R&R of the gas tube pin without damaging the pin or block much easier.

Regards,

Walt

slowryde45 08-08-2010 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjkuleck (Post 327857)
Remove the roll pin that secures the gas tube to the front sight block/gas block. Pull the gas tube rearward out of the block. There is a handy-dandy little tool available to grab the tube without damaging it. However, if you are replacing the tube, feel free to mar the tube with pliers or vise grips or whatever.

A proper-size roll pin punch (for removal) and roll pin starter punch (for installation) will make R&R of the gas tube pin without damaging the pin or block much easier.

Regards,

Walt

At the risk of sounding a little skeptical, are you actually the same Walt Kuleck that wrote the books with Clint McKee, that are sitting up on my shelf here?

Forgive my skepticism, as this is the 'interwebz', where you can be whoever you want to be, and there have been many times that people have done so.

But if you are him, Welcome to our forum, and Thank You, for the wealth of knowledge that you bring, not only here online but in the books you have put out, too.

Slo

wjkuleck 08-08-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowryde45 (Post 327882)
At the risk of sounding a little skeptical, are you actually the same Walt Kuleck that wrote the books with Clint McKee, that are sitting up on my shelf here?

Forgive my skepticism, as this is the 'interwebz', where you can be whoever you want to be, and there have been many times that people have done so.

But if you are him, Welcome to our forum, and Thank You, for the wealth of knowledge that you bring, not only here online but in the books you have put out, too.

Slo

Slo, I can't confirm that you have my books on the shelf...but I am the guy that wrote them.

Honest.

If you're into M1911s, check out the new The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide. I'm well into the writing of the next book...so if my attendence is a bit spotty, that's why ;).

I do appreciate your kind words!

Best regards,

Walt

slowryde45 08-08-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjkuleck (Post 328036)
Slo, I can't confirm that you have my books on the shelf...but I am the guy that wrote them.

Honest.

If you're into M1911s, check out the new The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide. I'm well into the writing of the next book...so if my attendence is a bit spotty, that's why ;).

I do appreciate your kind words!

Best regards,

Walt

Excellent. And yes, I will be adding that book to the collection, too. Any chance you'll be writing on the Garand, M1A, M1 Carbine, RPK, SKS, and AK47? That would cover quite a few of the toys in the box ;)

And don't worry, we don't keep track of attendence...much. I'm more impressed with the fact that you've taken the time to post in our forum.

We have several folks who have varying levels of technical knowledge with the AR platform, but I don't know of any of us who have enough knowledge to actually write a book on the subject. So I hope you do pop in whenever you can to offer info, suggestions, opinions, or just to shoot the breeze.

Again, welcome.

Slo

Tackleberry1 08-08-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzscubie (Post 327661)
Tack,

Have you checked the gas key on the bolt carrier to make sure it has not gotten loose this can allow for gas to escape and cause your rifle to short stroke.

Yes, the key is tight.