Gas Tube Question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Gas Tube Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2772 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Unfortunately there are people that stupid who own firearms. They should not even own/operate motor vehicles with that much of a cranial deficiency. Make sure you place either the muzzle end or chamber end of that "Remington" near your junk when you use the hammer to pound the .22 LR's into place. We do not want you reproducing AT ALL, EVER!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
uhmm....it is also easier to load the bullets into the magazine, if the magazine is out of the gun
No ****, huh? One of the most dangerous things on the face of this earth is an operator that doesn't know their equipment. Hand guard removal is day one stuff.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #13

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
No ****, huh? One of the most dangerous things on the face of this earth is an operator that doesn't know their equipment.
Quoted for truth.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
uhmm....it is also easier to load the bullets into the magazine, if the magazine is out of the gun

Sorry...I couldn't resist. But seriously you guys...if you are going to be working on any kind of firearm, do yourself, your family, and the rest of us a huge favorer. Buy a book, search online for tutorials, ask questions on the forum, whatever it takes....BEFORE...diving in and trying to do somethings you may have never done before or have little to no knowledge of.

No, most firearms are not Rocket Science, to work on, maintain, use, but hopefully not abuse. BUT...if you do something that is INCORRECT in some areas of the firearm, you could possibly render it unstable to operate, which could lead to injury or worse. In the case of a gas tube, most likely it would have only stopped your AR from cycling to the next round. I've seen some folks out there who have installed triggers incorrectly, which could and in some cases DID lead to double firing to full-auto! NOT A GOOD THING!!!!

So, take the time and LEARN about your toy BEFORE you go taking it apart and reassembling. Check out this link for some very educational videos:

GunTech : How to Build An AR-15 Video - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

or buy a book. This is one that I HIGHLY recommend:

"The AR15 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee

It's worth the time and few $$$'s for the book, VERSUS damaging your AR, or possibly hurting you or someone else.
Dunno what's going on with this post, no links show up for me

Anyway to the OP, if you go to Brownell's site, they have FREE video tutorials on "How to build an AR15". Don't let the title fool you, because they have videos on just about anything and everything concerning your AR15, from maintenance, to loading, upgrading, assembling and disassembling, etc. I know, we as guys, don't like to admit that maybe we don't know as much about these things as we'd like to. But...better to be SAFE than sorry, especially when sorry could be COSTLY, in more ways than just the firearm.

So, if you don't want to buy a book on it, at least check online, for the free tutorial videos, even YouTube has hundreds of videos on it. But, I would probably trust the guys on Brownell's first. You can also hit the interwebz for instructional links on anything about the AR and just about any other firearm. And of course, we've got a pretty knowledgeable base right here on this forum.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid mistakes that could have possibly been avoided, by just asking.

Now, I have to ask...how the heck did you REMOVE the gas tube, WITHOUT first removing the handguards?

Or then again....maybe I don't want to know, the visual in my head is making me shudder

Old 02-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5740 Times on 2999 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Now, I have to ask...how the heck did you REMOVE the gas tube, WITHOUT first removing the handguards?
drift out the gas tube pin and some handguards have enough play you can remove the tube staight through the upper receiver and out the ass end. or you can remove the pins holding the current gas block and it comes out the front with a little jiggling. its not the correct way but i guess it could work.