Gas Tube Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Gas Tube Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gas Tube Question

I was working on my Bushy and had to remove the gas tube. My question is, what tool do you use to re-insert the tube, w/ the bend in the correct position and the pin holes in the site aligned so that i can put the pin back in.

Should the gas tube slide in freely all the way? Mine takes a bit of "pushing" to get it into place.

Thanks in advance!

Bob

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #2

With bolt carrier out, slide gas tube into upper receiver and then forward into front sight base...hole down. Line up cotter pin and install...good luck

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?

Old 02-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5651 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

while you have it out its a good time to run some pipe cleaners around inthe holes it sits in. knocks some of the crud loose makes it easier to re-insert

Old 02-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #4

What kind of tool do you suggest to grap hold of the tube in the upper chamer? I see that it will be nearly impossible to get hold of the tube in order to turn it for alignment. I have to be missing something because it can't be that hard to do.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #5

Isn't that just how it is? it's never quite as easy as it should be...I don't know if there is a "tool" per se. At this point I'd get inventive and tape up some pliers so as to not damage the exterior of the gas tube and try to rotate it into position. Again, good luck and mabey someone else has some other options.

Hill

Old 02-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #6

The solution to removing and installing the gas tube is actually quite simple.
All i did was remove the hand guard! With no hand guard, the tube is accessable by hand!

So easy but not so obvious.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:08 AM   #7

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

ZZZZZING!!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #8

You did What! Oh God noooo...

You know, in my zeal to help I didn't think to ask if the garage door was open...

Old 02-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back40Bob View Post
The solution to removing and installing the gas tube is actually quite simple.
All i did was remove the hand guard! With no hand guard, the tube is accessable by hand!

So easy but not so obvious.

uhmm....it is also easier to load the bullets into the magazine, if the magazine is out of the gun

Sorry...I couldn't resist. But seriously you guys...if you are going to be working on any kind of firearm, do yourself, your family, and the rest of us a huge favorer. Buy a book, search online for tutorials, ask questions on the forum, whatever it takes....BEFORE...diving in and trying to do somethings you may have never done before or have little to no knowledge of.

No, most firearms are not Rocket Science, to work on, maintain, use, but hopefully not abuse. BUT...if you do something that is INCORRECT in some areas of the firearm, you could possibly render it unstable to operate, which could lead to injury or worse. In the case of a gas tube, most likely it would have only stopped your AR from cycling to the next round. I've seen some folks out there who have installed triggers incorrectly, which could and in some cases DID lead to double firing to full-auto! NOT A GOOD THING!!!!

So, take the time and LEARN about your toy BEFORE you go taking it apart and reassembling. Check out this link for some very educational videos:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/guntechdetail/How_to_Build_An_AR-15_Video

or buy a book. This is one that I HIGHLY recommend:

"The AR15 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee

It's worth the time and few $$$'s for the book, VERSUS damaging your AR, or possibly hurting you or someone else.

Last edited by slowryde45; 02-25-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGA View Post
You load "bullets" into a magazine? That's a new one on me!
Don't laugh...a guy at the gun counter at Walmart asked the clerk for bullets for his gun.

When she asked what caliber, he replied "It's a Remington"

I was almost tempted to tell her to give him a box of .22LR, and tell him to pack as many as he could fit into the little hole - use a hammer if necessary to make sure it was FULLY loaded