Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   gas system for 14.5 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/gas-system-14-5-a-70768/)

GREGULON 08-20-2012 09:25 PM

gas system for 14.5
 
I am building a 300 Blackout with a 14.5 barrel and would like at least a mid length gas sys, but would a rifle length be possible?

Quentin 08-20-2012 10:29 PM

Rifle length gas would be too long to cycle the action in a 14.5" barrel. Midlength is suspect too in 300 BLK. See what others say but I think carbine length is smart. Maybe you can go with a dissy if you want long handguards.

broke-again124 08-20-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREGULON
I am building a 300 Blackout with a 14.5 barrel and would like at least a mid length gas sys, but would a rifle length be possible?

Middy systems will not cycle with subsonic ammo, even with a suppressor. You will be hard pressed to find a mid length barrel in .300 blk. Run carbine. It's good to go.

GREGULON 08-20-2012 11:15 PM

In that case I like the adjustable gas system from JP Enterprise. Then I could adjust even a carbine length.

broke-again124 08-21-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREGULON
In that case I like the adjustable gas system from JP Enterprise. Then I could adjust even a carbine length.

Why? It works fine the way it is.

AgentTikki 08-22-2012 03:47 AM

Id entertain the idea of getting a jp adjustible gas block with any 300 bo barrel. The pressure difference between subsonic and supersonic ammo is pretty substantial. And due to the fact that there's not alotta powder gas pressures are kind of weak. But I'd have a gunsmith bore out the gas port a bit if I went that route.

fsted2a 08-22-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 911569)
Id entertain the idea of getting a jp adjustible gas block with any 300 bo barrel. The pressure difference between subsonic and supersonic ammo is pretty substantial. And due to the fact that there's not alotta powder gas pressures are kind of weak. But I'd have a gunsmith bore out the gas port a bit if I went that route.

There are also a few adjustable gas tubes available. Just throwing another option out there. I have no personal experience with JP products, but from everything I have read, their barrels and gas blocks are the cream of the crop. Just my .02.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:46 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.