Gas rings. How do you know?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Gas rings. How do you know?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Default Gas rings. How do you know?

Hey guy could anyone tell me how I would know when my gas rings are about ready to be replaced. As in what sort of malfunctions to look for, signs of wear. etc.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Just look at then if the are worn or bent then replace them.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Absent an obvious defect on the rings themselves there are several popular "tests" of the ring's seal:

1. Push bolt back into the carrier then hold BCG up by the bolt head. If the carrier drops the rings need replacing.

2. Pull bolt fully forward then stand BCG on it's end. If the bolt drops into the carrier the rings need replacing.

Neither method is a guarantee but both seem to work for those that use them...YMMV

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

From what I have been told and read Jpyle hit it right on the head !!!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle
Absent an obvious defect on the rings themselves there are several popular "tests" of the ring's seal:

1. Push bolt back into the carrier then hold BCG up by the bolt head. If the carrier drops the rings need replacing.

2. Pull bolt fully forward then stand BCG on it's end. If the bolt drops into the carrier the rings need replacing.

Neither method is a guarantee but both seem to work for those that use them...YMMV
Thanks a bunch

Old 06-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Just look at then if the are worn or bent then replace them.
What happens function wise if I don't?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
What happens function wise if I don't?
If the rings do not make a proper seal, the hot carbon-laden gas will be expelled into the receiver through the carrier. It isn't a dangerous situation nor will it damage the receiver, it will just deposit lots of extra crud in the action and lead to a stoppage or cycling issue.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #8

Liked 215 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post

That is actually the Colt recommended test. Another course of action is just to replace them every time you go to the range. Only a buck a set if you buy them in groups of 5 at Brownells.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

wow...I've never even considered changing them! I was trained to just inspect them on tear down while cleaning! if they look ok, run 'em.

I bet the ones on my first AR are shot then if they need changed periodically...since they've never been changed, and I've got probably 1500-2000 rounds through it...at least. I've never actually kept count.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #10

Liked 215 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
wow...I've never even considered changing them! I was trained to just inspect them on tear down while cleaning! if they look ok, run 'em.

I bet the ones on my first AR are shot then if they need changed periodically...since they've never been changed, and I've got probably 1500-2000 rounds through it...at least. I've never actually kept count.
At my unit now we replace the rings on our M16's every time we go to the range. Zero FTF's. For my personal AR, the peace of mind that a new set of rings brings is priceless. Also less time consuming and less damaging to the individual components than trying to scrub with a wire brush until the parts are white glove clean. Just don't forget to stagger the rings, same as an automotive piston.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin