Gas rings or gas pistons
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Gas rings or gas pistons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gas rings or gas pistons

I have an m4 from cmmg, I have went throu one set of gas rings, the second set aligned and I got blow back, so I went with the one piece. Today I took a couple shots and I got blowback in my face. Should I go with the gas piston set up or is there something wrong with my ar?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #2

The gas rings do not need to be alinged, I have heard that you should have them dtaggard, but I have never really paid attention to thier placement and have never had an issue.

What do you mean by blowback? I have experienced a lot of gas coming back in my face out the ejection port (maybe thats what you mean by blowback) while running SBR's (14.5 down to 11.5 inch bbl) with suppressors.

Are you running a suppressor?
What size is your bbl? .
How is the rifle cycling?
Is it stripping the next round off the mag?
Does it lock back on an empty mag?
What buffer weight you using?

There is a larger issue besides gass rings here, especially if you are not running a suppressor and do not have a Short bbl.

-DM-

Old 02-09-2009, 01:13 AM   #3

16"barrel, no supressor, when I say aligned I mean that the rings were installed staggered, they rotated and aligned ontheir own, I keep a spare bolt and carrier and it is the same way. The gun has less than 1000 rounds shot through it tops 800, blowback yes I mean excessive gas. cycles fine no jams or anything else, it does lock back, I upgraded the buffer ans spring not too long ago but it was doing it before that, if there is anything else you need to know let me know

Old 02-09-2009, 01:48 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynejc View Post
I have an m4 from cmmg, I have went throu one set of gas rings, the second set aligned and I got blow back, so I went with the one piece. Today I took a couple shots and I got blowback in my face. Should I go with the gas piston set up or is there something wrong with my ar?
What you are experiencing is nothing to worry about...other than a normal condition in alot of AR's out there. Nothing to worry about, please do not adjust your set

Unless of course you want to rid it of the problem, then you might look into something like this...

PRI Gas Buster charging handle

there are cheaper models out there, or you could upgrade the latch on your charging handle, too.

Slo

Old 02-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Staggering gas rings in one of he biggest myths in the gun world. Some DI told a set of recruits to do it and now it is gospel. It is absolute BS! When the rings are compressed in the carrier, they have almost no gap. They stagger themselves whe the bolt moves in and out of the carrier. If the bolt will hold up the weight of the carrier w/o the cam pin in place, the gas rings are good.

Any gas you experience is from the gas tube. Excessive gas is vented off the two holes on hte right side of the carrier. It is supposed to do this.

I have an AR with over 10,000 rounds fired on the factory gas rings and they still work fine. If ANYONE tells you to stagger your gas rings you then know to NEVER EVER trust another gun related word out of their mouth until they publicly admit their idiotic pablum puking mistake.

OK, sorry about the rant but I get sooooo sick and tired of "experts" giving advise. If you do not want any gasses to escape into the receiver area of your AR, Trade the AR for a bolt gun. Any self loading firearm will have some gas escape into the reeciever. It is the nature of the beast. There are gasses under pressure in the barrel when the action unlocks. Some of those gasses will escape out the rear when the bolt unlocks. Otherwise the action would not work. Pressures are reduced to a SAFE level when the bolt unlocks. SAFE does not mean Zero.

Get a gas piston AR. Spend a grand or so and still have gasses escape. Then come back and ask why this is so.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:14 AM   #6

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I have to agree with your rant robo, telling someone to stagger thier gas rings is like telling someone that while at rest thier car's valve stems should all be at the same o'clock position, other wise the engine won't run right. Especially since the gas rings are not secured and move and twist everytime the bolt moves.

I've never had "blowback" with my AR, at least not yet since I've not had it a year yet.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380