Gas piston worth the added cost?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Gas piston worth the added cost?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gas piston worth the added cost?

So I am new at this and doing my research I see that many reviews cheer the gas piston models but they are so much more expensive. Is it worth the added cots to eliminate the carbon build up and claims of higher reliability? I have a 1,000 limit for my first purchase but seems hard to find an ar-15 for that price.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #2

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

No need to pay extra for a piston over a DI AR, especaily for your first AR. Most of the claims of piston superiority are just hype to separate you from more money. There are millions of DI guns that have performed just fine.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #3

Thats what I thought but I see allot on google searches and reviews....maybe biased reviewers.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #4

Also, technically the DI AR has an internal piston - the bolt carrier group which gets a shove directly from the gas impulse instead of indirectly from an out of line piston rod which can cause carrier tilt.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #5

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

The upside to a piston is the gun will run cleaner

The downside is the increased recoil...and the cost.

I carried a DI M16A2 for 6 years of Infantry Service and never once thought that a piston would improve the system. Pistons are a marketing solution in search of a problem.

If your afraid of a little carbon buildup upgrade your DI Bolt and CARRIER GROUP to chrome plated.

It's about a $30 upgrade and does not increase recoil.

Tack

Old 02-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #6

Yeah, I own both, and can say this: if you are just casual shooting and messing around, and don't have a problem cleaning your weapon you wont have a problem with a normal AR.

If you are storming compounds, swimming in muck and filth and trying to avoid death in a war zone, then the piston gas system should be considered. Most of the issue is that every guy on a forum wants to believe that at some point they will actually need half the things they lust after. You can buy 2-3 of the normal gas tube systems for the same price as 1 gas piston system.

Are they worth the money ABSOLUTELY...

IF you can justify actually using them the way they were meant to be used. For everything else there is a normal AR-15 a gun that has won a war and served in a few others more than admirably.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I own both.

The cleaner claims are BS. The filth is just in a different area.

I wouldn't purchase another piston gun, not worth the price increase. I see no advantages to the piston system.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #8

Are you suggesting that the piston guns don't have a MUCH cleaner action and chamber area? That hasn't been my experience. Sure, you have to eventually clean the piston area, but the carrier, bolt and chamber all stay cleaner for much much longer. I can also fire my HK416 for 800-900 rounds before it gets too hot. With a regular non-piston AR, it takes MAYBE 250-350 rounds before its uncomfortably hot. Sure I don't run 800 rounds through the gun ALL the time, but on a fun weekend, I can shoot more with my friends than I can with a regular tube AR.

No offense, but I'm quite certain they are cleaner. At least that's how mine works. BY the way: no malfunctions in 6k rounds through a HK 416, whereas I have several malfunctions through a tuned AR-15 because of various things.

Big deal? nope. But, I certainly don't regret my purchase of a piston system (I actually own three with the HK being my favorite)

Old 02-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Not any cleaner, the filth is simply relocated.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunsmith View Post
... If you are storming compounds, swimming in muck and filth and trying to avoid death in a war zone, then the piston gas system should be considered... You can buy 2-3 of the normal gas tube systems for the same price as 1 gas piston system.

Are they worth the money ABSOLUTELY...
I disagree.

______