gas piston
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > gas piston

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default gas piston

I have a rra lar 15 ath wondering which osprey gas piston system is right for my rifle

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Gas piston conversions offer no benefit over the direct impingement system.

Welllll.... they do unbalance the rifle making them nose heavy.

I wouldn't recomend a piston system on a ar15.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3086 Times on 1547 Posts
Likes Given: 380

I am by no means the last word on AR related info. My $.02:
I'm one of those who believes that unless one is leaping out of helicopters onto Afghan mountaintops, a piston AR is probably unnecessary. There are some who will argue that even then, they aren't really needed, but that's another discussion. While the kit is, admittedly, clever, I'm not entirely sure what problem it solves. Seems to me, that if one absolutely must go to a piston driven AR, the best way forward is to buy an upper that was engineered with a piston setup from day one. Simply adding parts to a DI setup seems counterproductive.
For a range or recreational gun, I wouldn't bother.
Again, not an expert, just my opinion,YMMV.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 09-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #4

Liked 602 Times on 322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianramirez
I have a rra lar 15 ath wondering which osprey gas piston system is right for my rifle
I would stay away from piston unless you have money to blow and know how to work on them. My brother in law bought a Bushy with a CMMG piston kit. It's already leaking. Gas will not fail you, as a civilian any possible pros of having a piston system don't apply to you anyways.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #5

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

If you want a piston gun buy a AK and be done .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #6

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Been building piston AR's for quite a time. A lot of the posters put BS comments both pro and con because they haven't had both to compare. I have. Here is my findings on the ones I have experience with, which is ARES, OSPREY, and TNW:
1. They don't care what ammo you use, brass, blanks, or steel. If installed correctly, they will work
2. They don't eliminate carbon, but they can make it accumilate in easier to get to spots
3. They need lube, just like any moving parts. Some systems more, some not so much so.
4. It takes more time to install them than the tubes, but not more skill. If you can install the gas tube, you can install most pistons, unless it involves putting in a proprietary gas block. Then you start getting into a different skill level.
5. If you don't fire a couple hundred rounds or more every time you go to the range, it probably isn't worth the money or effort to put a piston in your AR. If you have a 20 inch barrel, the difference will be less noticeable than a shorter barrel.
6. I wouldn't consider a piston a solution to an AR Malfunction. When I install a piston in the AR, I am usually doing a "start from scratch" build.
I use a slickside upper because I have never seen a piston driven AR need a forward assist. The lack of gas rings makes the BCG ride forward easier. If you are putting in a slide fire, I would suggest adding a piston, but not just because you have FTF. Troubleshoot the problem. $1.00 worth of gas rings is cheaper than a $400 piston system.
7. Piston AR's have a barely noticeable increase in recoil, or so I have been told. I haven't noticed it.
8. They aren't as sensitive to being waterlogged as gas tubes, (yes, I have done the " soak in a pail of water" test with a couple of them) but really, do you need that much reliability?

I am not trying to dissuade or promote the piston, just trying to give both sides a reality check. The ones I have experience with work as advertised, but most of the posters on this forum will not fire enough rounds to really justify the expense.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

I've got about 2000 rounds through my di driven midlength bcm carbine. The only things I've done to it is keep it oiled same as I do any other rifle. I use 30w motor oil for lube. Occasionally i take out the bcg and give it a wipe with an oily rag.

Only miss feeds are ones caused by my utg brass catcher sliding forward and obstructing the ejection port.

The piston guns I have are ones designed to be such which include my ruger 44 carbine , m1 garand, m1 carbine, mossberg 930 12ga, ak47 wasr 10/63, and my fn scar 17.

Just not fan of fixing what ain't broke. If a ar15 is not functioning in a reliable manner a piston kit is not going to fix that issue. The gas system is pretty much never the cause of fail to feed fail to eject.

One of my oldest guns is an old colt sp1 slick side that prolly has close to 70000 rounds down the tube and is on it's third barrel. I don't recall ever having a need for a forward assist or gas piston. I shot it a LOT with little to no lube. I also can't recall ever having a jam of any sort with it.

Build a good gun from the ground up using high quality parts and it will function.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #8

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I've got about 2000 rounds through my di driven midlength bcm carbine. The only things I've done to it is keep it oiled same as I do any other rifle. I use 30w motor oil for lube. Occasionally i take out the bcg and give it a wipe with an oily rag.

Only miss feeds are ones caused by my utg brass catcher sliding forward and obstructing the ejection port.

The piston guns I have are ones designed to be such which include my ruger 44 carbine , m1 garand, m1 carbine, mossberg 930 12ga, ak47 wasr 10/63, and my fn scar 17.

Just not fan of fixing what ain't broke. If a ar15 is not functioning in a reliable manner a piston kit is not going to fix that issue. The gas system is pretty much never the cause of fail to feed fail to eject.

One of my oldest guns is an old colt sp1 slick side that prolly has close to 70000 rounds down the tube and is on it's third barrel. I don't recall ever having a need for a forward assist or gas piston. I shot it a LOT with little to no lube. I also can't recall ever having a jam of any sort with it.

Build a good gun from the ground up using high quality parts and it will function.
To the OP, in your case I really recommend against going with a piston. I build AR's on a regular basis, but I start with the stripped lower, and work my way out. Some end up as DI, some as piston. Every time you disassemble your rifle, you stand a chance of scratching it, which brings the future re-sale value down in the event money get's tight and you have to sell it. I suggest you spend the $400-$500 you were thinking on using for the piston to buy ammo or at least optics. After you have run about 500 rounds through your AR, find someone who has a piston AR and shoot a few through it to compare. Then if you really want to install a piston system, you will have some more knowledge to base your decision. And this is coming from someone who probably has installed more AR pistons than anyone on this forum.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #9

Liked 1212 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Gas piston conversions offer no benefit over the direct impingement system.

Welllll.... they do unbalance the rifle making them nose heavy.

I wouldn't recomend a piston system on a ar15.
Ever compared the cleaning required? I'm not talking about reliability or anything else, just simply cleaning. I spent a lot of extra money for 1 main purpose. I am really lazy!

Never underestimate my laziness.

/My piston system is cleaner and I'll take that challenge any day.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

My Hera Arms 15th Dynamic piston AR is awesome. I have taken it to the range quite a bit after buying it this year. I buy boxes of 140 rounds. All rounds shot are accurate (1/7 twist barrel), and the gun runs flawlessly. I only had one misfeed in the beginning, but that was because I was resting the bottom of the PMag on the table. The gun is very controllable with a light recoil, even while shooting fast. I am happy with my choice, which says a lot when the competition includes Sig Sauer, HK, Oberland Arms and Schmeisser. I keep it wet with Mobil 1 10W-30. I have had no problems and really enjoy shooting. Yes, it is expensive. About 2000 dollars. It is a match rifle though. A few pics....

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/hera-arms-15th-dynamic-89676/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/hera-arms-eotech-range-report-89680/

001.jpg   020.jpg   010.jpg   018.jpg