gas blocks and sights
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > gas blocks and sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6029 Times on 3160 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Default gas blocks and sights

ok im in the planning stages for a lightweight reddot centered midlength carbine type rifle.

its mainly going to be parts from rra and magpul plus possibly a full auto bcg depending on if i get my sherrif letter or not.

anyway rra has a gas block with integrated flip up sight. i like the magpul mbus as they are light stay out of the way and cheap and they just plain work. i would prefer using the magpul front rear setup but i cant find a simple rail height gas block that doesnt have funky features or cost a ridiculous ammount.

the rra flip up is an option if anyone has opinions of it or a suggestion of a decent quality reasonably rail height gas block in the ~45$ range

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2011, 03:13 AM   #2

The MBUS won't work on a railed gas block anyhow. The picatinny on them sits lower than the picatinny on the receiver, so you have to get a gas block specific flip up sight.

Why not do a low profile gas block with something like a Troy TRX Extreme or Samson Evolution handguard? They give you the picatinny rail along the top and are very lightweight.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

i dont need a full rail and i really like the moe handguards i just found that midwest industries makes a reciever height block but i dont know how good their quality is on ar15 parts. but its also half again as much as i wanted to pay *sigh*

troy is pricey and i dont really want a full rail on this build.

i may just go with a yhm integrated block and sight as i dont like all the sling swivels on the rra sight/block. plus one of the yhm's has a bayonet lug.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-14-2011 at 03:37 AM.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:36 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

An A2 FSP is always an option.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-14-2011, 03:39 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

the barrel i want has a a2 fsb but i dont want it in the way of the optic.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:56 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I had one one my LWRC w/ a EoTech and a BCM w/ an H1 and when looking through the optic it's not noticeable. I have gone to longer rails simply because it fits my grip style better.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Jon. Why does the sheriff matter on installation of a FA BCG on a semi auto rifle?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:20 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Jon. Why does the sheriff matter on installation of a FA BCG on a semi auto rifle?
Cuz if i get it the upper is gonna be mated to a full auto colt m16 lower. It may change barrel plans too. Been tossing around the idea of a compact suppressed 30 cal too. Either way its still gonna need a light weight fsb/sight.

If i dont get it then i gotta sell the m16 and i pretty much got a huge blank check type budget at that point. But i still want to keep the cost reasonably low.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:22 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I had one one my LWRC w/ a EoTech and a BCM w/ an H1 and when looking through the optic it's not noticeable. I have gone to longer rails simply because it fits my grip style better.
Putting one of those vortex sparcs on it. Im pretty impressed with the strikefire. I got that for my mp 15-22 but i had it on my socom this weekend and its going for round two this coming saturday

Old 12-14-2011, 04:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the barrel i want has a a2 fsb but i dont want it in the way of the optic.
you could chop the top of the sight off. Or have Adco do it for $38.

Join The NRA!