Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   gas blocks and sights (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/gas-blocks-sights-53549/)

JonM 12-14-2011 01:23 AM

gas blocks and sights

ok im in the planning stages for a lightweight reddot centered midlength carbine type rifle.

its mainly going to be parts from rra and magpul plus possibly a full auto bcg depending on if i get my sherrif letter or not.

anyway rra has a gas block with integrated flip up sight. i like the magpul mbus as they are light stay out of the way and cheap and they just plain work. i would prefer using the magpul front rear setup but i cant find a simple rail height gas block that doesnt have funky features or cost a ridiculous ammount.

the rra flip up is an option if anyone has opinions of it or a suggestion of a decent quality reasonably rail height gas block in the ~45$ range

FCross7 12-14-2011 02:13 AM

The MBUS won't work on a railed gas block anyhow. The picatinny on them sits lower than the picatinny on the receiver, so you have to get a gas block specific flip up sight.

Why not do a low profile gas block with something like a Troy TRX Extreme or Samson Evolution handguard? They give you the picatinny rail along the top and are very lightweight.

-Fred

JonM 12-14-2011 02:30 AM

i dont need a full rail and i really like the moe handguards :) i just found that midwest industries makes a reciever height block but i dont know how good their quality is on ar15 parts. but its also half again as much as i wanted to pay *sigh*

troy is pricey and i dont really want a full rail on this build.

i may just go with a yhm integrated block and sight as i dont like all the sling swivels on the rra sight/block. plus one of the yhm's has a bayonet lug.

mjkeat 12-14-2011 02:36 AM

An A2 FSP is always an option.

JonM 12-14-2011 02:39 AM

the barrel i want has a a2 fsb but i dont want it in the way of the optic.

mjkeat 12-14-2011 02:56 AM

I had one one my LWRC w/ a EoTech and a BCM w/ an H1 and when looking through the optic it's not noticeable. I have gone to longer rails simply because it fits my grip style better.

willfully armed 12-14-2011 03:04 AM

Jon. Why does the sheriff matter on installation of a FA BCG on a semi auto rifle?

JonM 12-14-2011 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 651426)
Jon. Why does the sheriff matter on installation of a FA BCG on a semi auto rifle?

Cuz if i get it the upper is gonna be mated to a full auto colt m16 lower. It may change barrel plans too. Been tossing around the idea of a compact suppressed 30 cal too. Either way its still gonna need a light weight fsb/sight.

If i dont get it then i gotta sell the m16 and i pretty much got a huge blank check type budget at that point. But i still want to keep the cost reasonably low.

JonM 12-14-2011 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 651416)
I had one one my LWRC w/ a EoTech and a BCM w/ an H1 and when looking through the optic it's not noticeable. I have gone to longer rails simply because it fits my grip style better.

Putting one of those vortex sparcs on it. Im pretty impressed with the strikefire. I got that for my mp 15-22 but i had it on my socom this weekend and its going for round two this coming saturday

jwsturr 12-14-2011 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 651387)
the barrel i want has a a2 fsb but i dont want it in the way of the optic.

you could chop the top of the sight off. Or have Adco do it for $38.