gas block - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > gas block

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGS View Post
What are you going to be doing with the rifle? What kind of BCG and buffer system will you be using? That would determine if you want an adjustable gas block or not.

Generally speaking most people don't get adjustable gas systems. Where you see adjustable gas systems is in super tuned 3 guns, and in pistol systems.

If you are using most "standard" buffer systems, not the low mass buffer system like JP makes, and you are using either a standard ar15 or mil spec m16 BCG, you'd be fine with a typical lo pro gas block.

Let me know if you want any recommendations.
Just a standard buffer with a NIB BCG. Just thought having an adjustable gas block be able to tune it.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #12

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If you like to tinker, get an adjustable gas block, IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE. More than many people think.

If you don't, get a standard gas block.

I like to tinker so I got a Seekins Precision Adj, and didn't really like it. I just got a DA7 which is much much easier to use, but twice the cost. Haven't taken her out yet but possibly next weekend.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What did you not like about the seekings? Also looking at pri and syrac ordinance.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #14

The set screw for the gas adjustment screw stripped. Also adjusting it meant taking off the handguards, kind of a pain in the ass. The new Geissele handguards I got, aren't easily removed, so I opted for the DA7 which can be adjusted from the front so that I won't have to remove the handguards.

Haven't shot the DA7 yet, so I can't give you a review, but I can already tell its worth the extra $40 in my humble opinion. I'm already thinking of replacing my other blocks with DA7s. The Seekins worked as advertised, but I never felt the need to put them on all my builds.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #15

Just want to add that SLR rifleworks has great CS and they are just about to release their new clamp on .625 and .750 gas blocks.

The first one I received from them, was off by .03 inches and I couldn't mount it on my barrel. They sent a replacement in which I recieved in 3 days. Their CS is exemplary and I will not hesitate to buy from them again. I kinda like their lifetime money back guarentee I'm 90% sure I'm gonna buy a few more.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 09-15-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #16

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Low profile gas blocks are nice, in that you can run the hand guard past and have more room for your hand while still having a few rails at the end. I have a rifle length hand guard on a mid length 16" carbine barrel. Hand guard is a Midwest SS one piece, a continuous top rail but smooth everywhere else so you can add short rails where you need them. At the end of the hand guard I have 2" rails on either side and a couple 2" rails on the bottom for VG and Bipod. Adjustable gas blocks aren't necessary , but if you have one you can turn it down giving a softer impulse ( quicker back on target, easier on the rifle), while still making sure you have 100 % reliability. I have a Syrac adjustable gas block on mine, which has a detent so it won't more inadvertently. Most rifles are "over gassed" , to be reliable with even weaker ammo. While not an AR, I will give an example. My Mini-14 used to throw brass 35 feet away, (way over gassed). I reduced the size of the gas port bushing and installed Wilson buffers front and rear on the op rod. Now the rifle is softer shooting, less metal to metal contact, and the brass "only' goes 15 feet so I don't have to go to the next county to pick it up. And like any Mini with good ammo and good factory magazines, it is still 100% reliable.

dsc01401.jpg  

Last edited by sandog; 09-15-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: fix typo

Old 09-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks pretty sure I will be using an adjustable gas block. Like the idea of "tuning" down the gas. Just need to figure out which one.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I also have the Syrac on a 10.5" 5.56. I like the idea of having detents for easy adjustment and maintaining the settings though I have not had a chance to adjust it yet. As soon as I get my lower back I plan mess wiht the adjustments a bit.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 09-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2598 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

stimis,

The responses have been well covered and you certainly do not need an adjustable gas block for a midlength rifle. The only thing is if you are putting a Quad Rail and then the Gas Block on it when you remove the End Cap for the Standard Handguards be sure you do not push the gas block back to far on the barrel and cut off part of the gas port. Remember the End Cap is "X" Thick and if you push the gas block completely against the ledge on the barrel this can happen. And Brownells, Yankee Hill and others make a good gas block.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy