Galil "Golani" 5.56X45 rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Galil "Golani" 5.56X45 rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Galil "Golani" 5.56X45 rifle

Do any of you have any experience with the Galil "Golani" 5.56X45 rifle? I'm thinking of selling one of my Rommy G's and buying one. Why are they so expensive and are they "worth it"? How available are the mags?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

An AK is an AK? How is the quality of the Israeli build when compared to the Romanian guns? I always thought that the Romanians were pretty high quality.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
An AK is an AK? How is the quality of the Israeli build when compared to the Romanian guns? I always thought that the Romanians were pretty high quality.
Romanian AKs are low quality, no where near the quality of a Gail rifle. Gails are built on milled recievers and known to be a very high qulaity AK variant. I don't own a Gail but I know they are very good rifles they have peepsights instead of the regular AK sights, they have a charging handle that can be operated by either hand, a safety on both sides, and fire the 5.56.

Last edited by Ermac; 07-12-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:53 AM   #4

In my humble, largely-underinformed opinion, when the Israelis set their mind to something, it does pretty good well. The uzi is reputed to be pretty good at what it's for - a bullet hose.

I know thier F15 fighters are probably the best dogfighters in the world. Not sure how that trickles down to a rifle, but its something to think about, I reckon.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #5

I got to play with a friend’s rifle over one weekend and from what I can tell they are solid and well made. They shoot in the 1 to 2 group with mill surplus ammo at 100 with open sites but never tried good stuff. Mags are pricey at about $35 a pop for used mill surplus. The mags are 35 round and built out of steel and heavy duty or at least the 5 I got to play with where. They are a much better built product than any Romanian AK that I have ever seen. Are they worth the money?

If you have the money to spare for a fun toy and like different stuff to play with then I would go for it. If you are on a budget and this will be your SHTF weapon it would not be a good choice (only because parts are not readily available). If you want to get a lot of gadgets, or want a firearm with lots a parts available for it look at the Standard AK or AR type rifle.

I would own one if I had the spare cash, they are well built.

Have a good one!

Remember:
Plan for the worst, Hope for the best and if you land on your feet running life is good!!!

Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #6

I purchased a Golani at a gun show about a year ago and have had stove pipe and double feed problems since I got it. I called Century Arms, they said it was out of warranty. I was told the rifle was purchased a year and a half ago and they would not repair the rifle. So much for me ever purchasing another Century Arms weapon in my lifetime.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=shooter1006;284944]I purchased a Golani at a gun show about a year ago and have had stove pipe and double feed problems since I got it. I called Century Arms, they said it was out of warranty. I was told the rifle was purchased a year and a half ago and they would not repair the rifle. So much for me ever purchasing another Century Arms weapon in my lifetime.

That's garbage. Since I posted this thread, I've read a LOT of negative things about the Golani Sporters. It's pretty much a major gamble if I decide to buy one.

They look cool though.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #8

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 756

You are better off getting a Romanian Wasr or Sar2. Romanian rifles that I have dealt w/ have been excellent. My Wasr2 5.45 has been great over the years. I even have used it for Coyotes around 100 yards. I won an AK competition at 160 meters w/ it w/ iron sights. The Number 2 guy was shooting a Sar3 Romanian(.223). I have done zero mods to my gun, except for a 30mm red dot for hunting. They come w/ a Tapco G2 single hook trigger, chrome bore and barrel. You can't kill them. 30 round Mags can be found for under $10.00.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=jpattersonnh;285279]You are better off getting a Romanian Wasr or Sar2. Romanian rifles that I have dealt w/ have been excellent. My Wasr2 5.45 has been great over the years. I even have used it for Coyotes around 100 yards. I won an AK competition at 160 meters w/ it w/ iron sights. The Number 2 guy was shooting a Sar3 Romanian(.223). I have done zero mods to my gun, except for a 30mm red dot for hunting. They come w/ a Tapco G2 single hook trigger, chrome bore and barrel. You can't kill them. 30 round Mags can be found for under $10.00.

Cool. I've been thinking about getting a WASR 2, but I'd like one with a flash hider. I think the newer ones may be threaded. Is yours?