Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Galil "Golani" 5.56X45 rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/galil-golani-5-56x45-rifle-5278/)

ARnoob 06-30-2008 03:35 PM

Galil "Golani" 5.56X45 rifle

Do any of you have any experience with the Galil "Golani" 5.56X45 rifle? I'm thinking of selling one of my Rommy G's and buying one. Why are they so expensive and are they "worth it"? How available are the mags?

Thanks!

matt g 06-30-2008 07:57 PM

An AK is an AK? How is the quality of the Israeli build when compared to the Romanian guns? I always thought that the Romanians were pretty high quality.

Ermac 07-12-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 29897)
An AK is an AK? How is the quality of the Israeli build when compared to the Romanian guns? I always thought that the Romanians were pretty high quality.

Romanian AKs are low quality, no where near the quality of a Gail rifle. Gails are built on milled recievers and known to be a very high qulaity AK variant. I don't own a Gail but I know they are very good rifles they have peepsights instead of the regular AK sights, they have a charging handle that can be operated by either hand, a safety on both sides, and fire the 5.56.

DFENS 07-30-2008 05:53 AM

In my humble, largely-underinformed opinion, when the Israelis set their mind to something, it does pretty good well. The uzi is reputed to be pretty good at what it's for - a bullet hose.

I know thier F15 fighters are probably the best dogfighters in the world. Not sure how that trickles down to a rifle, but its something to think about, I reckon.

DSAPT9 08-05-2008 07:00 PM

I got to play with a friendís rifle over one weekend and from what I can tell they are solid and well made. They shoot in the 1 to 2 group with mill surplus ammo at 100 with open sites but never tried good stuff. Mags are pricey at about $35 a pop for used mill surplus. The mags are 35 round and built out of steel and heavy duty or at least the 5 I got to play with where. They are a much better built product than any Romanian AK that I have ever seen. Are they worth the money?

If you have the money to spare for a fun toy and like different stuff to play with then I would go for it. If you are on a budget and this will be your SHTF weapon it would not be a good choice (only because parts are not readily available). If you want to get a lot of gadgets, or want a firearm with lots a parts available for it look at the Standard AK or AR type rifle.

I would own one if I had the spare cash, they are well built.

shooter1006 05-14-2010 06:09 PM

I purchased a Golani at a gun show about a year ago and have had stove pipe and double feed problems since I got it. I called Century Arms, they said it was out of warranty. I was told the rifle was purchased a year and a half ago and they would not repair the rifle. So much for me ever purchasing another Century Arms weapon in my lifetime.

ARnoob 05-15-2010 02:04 PM

[QUOTE=shooter1006;284944]I purchased a Golani at a gun show about a year ago and have had stove pipe and double feed problems since I got it. I called Century Arms, they said it was out of warranty. I was told the rifle was purchased a year and a half ago and they would not repair the rifle. So much for me ever purchasing another Century Arms weapon in my lifetime.

That's garbage. Since I posted this thread, I've read a LOT of negative things about the Golani Sporters. It's pretty much a major gamble if I decide to buy one. :(

They look cool though. :)

jpattersonnh 05-15-2010 02:26 PM

You are better off getting a Romanian Wasr or Sar2. Romanian rifles that I have dealt w/ have been excellent. My Wasr2 5.45 has been great over the years. I even have used it for Coyotes around 100 yards. I won an AK competition at 160 meters w/ it w/ iron sights. The Number 2 guy was shooting a Sar3 Romanian(.223). I have done zero mods to my gun, except for a 30mm red dot for hunting. They come w/ a Tapco G2 single hook trigger, chrome bore and barrel. You can't kill them. 30 round Mags can be found for under $10.00.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...DSCF0002-9.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...h/IM000278.jpg

ARnoob 05-16-2010 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=jpattersonnh;285279]You are better off getting a Romanian Wasr or Sar2. Romanian rifles that I have dealt w/ have been excellent. My Wasr2 5.45 has been great over the years. I even have used it for Coyotes around 100 yards. I won an AK competition at 160 meters w/ it w/ iron sights. The Number 2 guy was shooting a Sar3 Romanian(.223). I have done zero mods to my gun, except for a 30mm red dot for hunting. They come w/ a Tapco G2 single hook trigger, chrome bore and barrel. You can't kill them. 30 round Mags can be found for under $10.00.

Cool. I've been thinking about getting a WASR 2, but I'd like one with a flash hider. I think the newer ones may be threaded. Is yours?