Full length gas tube vs. midlength. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Full length gas tube vs. midlength.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 03:17 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Goju and I were talking recently and he was looking for a full length gas system. That is what he is having trouble finding. The mid length are everywhere right now, as they are the flavor of the moment.

I think Goju and I will need to build him a full length upper with the luck we are having trying to find one in stock.
ahh i see

i believe delton offers them
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 06-17-2011, 05:00 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
I just ordered a LMT upper Tuesday, tracking shows it to be at my house next Wednesday. Also, area51tactical.com sent me a "back in stock e-mail" saying Spikes 16" LE M4 are back in stock. Better hurry they go fast.
How about a non CHF lightweight 14.5" or 16" midlength BCM or Spikes?

Old 06-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3583 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1783

Gojubrain,

Not to be disrespectful! But why would you want a full length gas system on a 16 inch rifle? Just wondering! Unless you just do and think it is cool and the chicks dig it!

Old 06-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
ahh i see

i believe delton offers them
Goju,

you might want to check out Del-Ton, the fit, finish, and quality on mine is on par with the big boys.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 06-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Gojubrain,

Not to be disrespectful! But why would you want a full length gas system on a 16 inch rifle? Just wondering! Unless you just do and think it is cool and the chicks dig it!

Respectfully, he asked me and I advised him as such.

The full length gas tube is easier on recoil for starters. It runs cleaner because more gas pressure has been created by the powder being burnt prior to harnessing the heated gas and funneling it back into your chamber. In addition the upper has less induced harmonics from the start of the BCG being unlocked prior to round one leaving the barrel.

It's also traditional, which means that anything you should need in a SHTF situation is going to be easier to find because there have been GENERATIONS of the full lengths cycled through gunshops and private hands since the 70's.

AR gun companies created a market with the mid length and it's the flavor of the moment. And that's great. More power to everyone that loves it and I am not taking anything away from those that bought it. Enjoy and allow others their choice.

Now I am sure 9 people are going to stop by, telling me about the performance with their mid length uppers; how reliable they are and how great they shoot and that's fantastic. Once again I am happy for you.

But when you see a bunch of questions about guys changing buffers from one weight to another and you see guys with questions that no one can answer without parroting something they saw on Ar-We-are-So-Awesome-dot-com, it's time to take a look at the problem from a mechanical, how does it work and how was it designed standpoint.

If Stoner thought it was a good idea to harness the gas closer to the chamber, he would have designed it that way.

JD

Old 06-21-2011, 01:39 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
Goju,

you might want to check out Del-Ton, the fit, finish, and quality on mine is on par with the big boys.
Absolutely! Thank you Glass!

Old 06-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Gojubrain,

Yeah!! It's JD's fault!!

lol

Old 06-21-2011, 04:32 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 836 Posts
Likes Given: 1238

Well I'll sure be interested in how this AR turns out. I am a midlength gas lover but have absolutely no experience with a rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel. I've always *heard* in that with a RLGS the barrel should be at least 18" but then they say bumblebees can't fly too. All in all, I have to trust JD's experience here! Also we don't know the carrier mass/buffer/spring and ammo to be used so no doubt JD's got some tricks up his sleeve!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Last edited by Quentin; 06-21-2011 at 04:38 AM. Reason: corrected an error...

Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Respectfully, he asked me and I advised him as such.

Now I am sure 9 people are going to stop by, telling me about the performance with their mid length uppers; how reliable they are and how great they shoot and that's fantastic. Once again I am happy for you.

But when you see a bunch of questions about guys changing buffers from one weight to another and you see guys with questions that no one can answer without parroting something they saw on Ar-We-are-So-Awesome-dot-com, it's time to take a look at the problem from a mechanical, how does it work and how was it designed standpoint.

If Stoner thought it was a good idea to harness the gas closer to the chamber, he would have designed it that way.

JD
I won't tell you about my middy's, but remember all that trouble I had with that 16" barrel w/ rifle length system?

Talk about changing buffers. . . there just isn't enough pressure. However, I did exchange it for a 20" barrel with rifle length gas and it is now my best shooting (and least expensive. . . "Scrapy") rifle.

Recoil in non-existant and I don't notice much of a difference as far as length and weight. I did go with a LW contour though and would do it again.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah I don't think Stoner ever built a 16" with a rifle gas system either, but I could be wrong.
The carbine gas system was used in the 14.5 and shorter carbines (I'm no expert but i believe) because the short barrel/long gas system did not have enough "dwell time".
But like I said I'm no "expert" so YMMV.
If you like to tinker, I know a lot of friends shooting action rifle competition love the smooth impulse of lightened carriers and rifle gas with an 18" barrel, 16"s are possible as well but I believe you are definitely going to need to open the gas port along with going to low mass bolt carrier/buffer combinations and maybe lighter springs to get reliable operation. but that's just my opinion

I'd avoid the hassel and go with the middy in a 16"
If not mid, I'd pick the tried and true (albiet overgassed) and reliable carbine length.
My .o2
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down