Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Full length gas tube vs. midlength.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Full length gas tube vs. midlength.

I'm searching for a complete upper. for my purpose I've decided it's suited for a full length gas tube instead of a mid length. BUT, where the heck are they??!!??!

Am I out of line here? Just wanting to get different opinions.

I'll be using it for range use/ home perimeter type defense. Atleast, that's my plan.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #2

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 946

There should be no problem finding a rifle length gas system. You are talking about a 20" upper, right? Take a look at BCM and many others.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
There should be no problem finding a rifle length gas system. You are talking about a 20" upper, right? Take a look at BCM and many others.
I'm looking for a 16" upper.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Not a dumb question, just be careful. 16" barrels arent known to function all that great w/ gas ports at the rifle possition.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

What the flip is up with ALL the uppers out of stock/ 5-6week wait??!!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I know how you feel Goju. Im ready to drop some cash on a new upper but cant find a Spikes, BCM, or DD. Well I know where to get a DD but dont want to wait 6 or more weeks. Who knows when the BCM or Spikes will be available.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:40 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I know how you feel Goju. Im ready to drop some cash on a new upper but cant find a Spikes, BCM, or DD. Well I know where to get a DD but dont want to wait 6 or more weeks. Who knows when the BCM or Spikes will be available.
Well, at least America is armed well! There's a bunch of folks out there with AR's. Lol

Old 06-17-2011, 03:01 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5329 Times on 2781 Posts
Likes Given: 338

rock river arms offers 16" barrels with midlength tubes

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-17-2011, 03:10 AM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Goju and I were talking recently and he was looking for a full length gas system. That is what he is having trouble finding. The mid length are everywhere right now, as they are the flavor of the moment.

I think Goju and I will need to build him a full length upper with the luck we are having trying to find one in stock.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:14 AM   #10

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I just ordered a LMT upper Tuesday, tracking shows it to be at my house next Wednesday. Also, area51tactical.com sent me a "back in stock e-mail" saying Spikes 16" LE M4 are back in stock. Better hurry they go fast.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.