Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > full auto ar15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 04:44 AM   #61
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2613 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
practical reason #1: Big bad wolf has "auto" capabilities, and he's @ ur door asking u to "hand over" all of ur firearms;

practical reason #2: Hey guys, watch this!

Practical reason #3: Refer back to reason(s) 1 and 2!

IF THERE IS NO PRACTICAL REASON FOR "FULL AUTO," THEN WHY DO THE BIG BAD WOLVES NEED IT?
Unless you have a very hardened site and a belt fed weapon, you will not fare very well in this scenario. Either way, you will end up a martyr.

One reason F/A's are used is they are pretty much the same price as S/A equivalents, so WTH, might as well make the guys happy and let them play every so often. We have actually retired our MP-5's and M-16 Commandos and adopted S/A rifles. Less wear and tear. Weapons last longer. Less liability, etc. CDI factor is lower, but so what? 12 people with AR's can put plenty of fire on a problem with a couple of .308's on overwatch.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-30-2011, 05:01 AM   #62
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
practical reason #1: Big bad wolf has "auto" capabilities, and he's @ ur door asking u to "hand over" all of ur firearms;

practical reason #2: Hey guys, watch this!

Practical reason #3: Refer back to reason(s) 1 and 2!

IF THERE IS NO PRACTICAL REASON FOR "FULL AUTO," THEN WHY DO THE BIG BAD WOLVES NEED IT?
unlimited men and unlimited ammo, thats why

Old 09-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #63
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20061 Times on 11410 Posts
Likes Given: 50601

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Unless you have a very hardened site and a belt fed weapon, you will not fare very well in this scenario. Either way, you will end up a martyr.

One reason F/A's are used is they are pretty much the same price as S/A equivalents, so WTH, might as well make the guys happy and let them play every so often. We have actually retired our MP-5's and M-16 Commandos and adopted S/A rifles. Less wear and tear. Weapons last longer. Less liability, etc. CDI factor is lower, but so what? 12 people with AR's can put plenty of fire on a problem with a couple of .308's on overwatch.
thanks robo, you said it much better than i could!

Old 09-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #64

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I guess I'll get in on this one and give my opinion too. Having had a full-auto CAR-15 that I carried in Vietnam I would only have used the full-auto feature under the most dire of situations. The silly thing had such a fast cyclic rate on "sprinkle" that I felt it was of little advantage to have one dead bad guy with 30 holes in him and an empty gun in my hand. The average shooter can fire a semi-auto rifle plenty fast enough and maintain control of where he's shooting at the same time.

It made a lot of sense when the Marines went to the 3-round "burst-fire" M-16's in lieu of the full-auto. In a combat situation they found that many soldiers would squeeze the trigger at the first sign of trouble and empty their weapons in the first 2-seconds of the fight because they forgot to let go of the trigger. With the 3-round burst-fire M16, the worst that would happen if the trigger was not released was that 3-round were going to be wasted leaving 27-rounds in the magazine for the immediate fight at-hand.

I'm not against full-auto weapons and think they are plenty cool, but I can assure you that in combat you'll do much better with a semi-auto or burst-fire weapon.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 09-30-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #65
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20061 Times on 11410 Posts
Likes Given: 50601

IMO, fully automatic weapons are just not practical weapons. are they cool and fun to shoot? yes they are! even i would jump at the chance to get some trigger time with an M16, Uzi, Mac 10 or MP5. if a law abiding citizen wants to spend his money and time to legally aquire a fully automatic weapon, then i respect his right to do so. i also support their decision to legally own such weapons, because of the red tape and background checks that they have to endure to own such weapons, that these people are more than likely some of the most law abiding citizens there are. and if this is what they want to spend their money on, then i respect and support that freedom to do so. it just for myself, i have no desire to own fully automatic weapons as for my intended uses, they are just impractical.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #66

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
you still haven't listed a practical reason! how many bad guys you expecting at one time to show up at your door? and IMO, if the bad guys show up with fully automatics, i'll pick them off one at a time when they have wasted their ammo and are trying to reload! you apparently believe in the spray and pray philosophy, but i believe in accurate shots are way more important and effective.
spray and pray is NOT a way to shoot a firearm! i didn't make myself clear, u did though............3-round burst IS F/A.

u are quite correct on the semi-auto style or "i'll pick them off one at a time when they have wasted their ammo and are trying to reload," but WOULDN'T YOU LIKE TO GO INTO A FIGHT BEING EQUALS...............F/A vs S/A, or F/A vs F/A. IDK, that's just me. there is OBVIOUSLY something to the 3-round burst capability (F/A) that is genuinely "better" than just semi-auto, or the military wouldn't STILL be using F/As today. it's NOT about how much ammo u can afford, it's about being able to own a weapon of ur choosing...................for whatever ur reason(s) may be.

as for answering ur question, i do believe i answered it........................okay, okay.....................shoe on the other foot.......20 men with semi-autos come to take ur firearms, now u have a distinct advantage b/c u have the F/A. YES, NO........................

JUST MY OPINION.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 09-30-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #67

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Disciplined full auto fire, the key word being DISCIPLINED, can be a difference maker if you are outnumbered and have the ammo to execute sending volumes of lead downrange. That is, a 3-6 round burst can keep someone's head down as easily as emptying a 100 round beta mag on them. Otherwise, you will either run out of ammo before all the bad guys are dead, or have jammed weapon, or both.
For home defense, one shot one kill should be the rule. I can't see putting a weapon on auto or burst with my wife, daughter, or granddaughter in the house. Actually, I prefer my Hi-point 40 cal carbine over my AR just cause of the over penetration issue. To play at the range, when I can afford the ammo, bumpfiring is satisfying enough to do me most of the time. But the point some of us are making is: people who can pass the background checks and the other red tape should be able to legally convert their firearm to auto if they desire.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #68

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

where did our OP go I was about to post step by step instruction on how to go full auto.

NOT!

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 09-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #69

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

[QUOTE=rigjumpr;589993]where did our OP go I was about to post step by step instruction on how to go full auto.

I can do that:
The legal way:
1. Go to gunbroker or some other gun auction site, and bid on the cheapest legally transferrable F/A you can find, usually $10,000 to $15,000.
2. Find a gun dealer that has experience in transferring NFA weapons to have it delivered to.
3. Become the winning bidder.
4. Pay for the gun, then go to your gun dealer and start the process.
7. Start buying ammo. By the time this goes through, you will have enough ammo to shoot the weapon at f/a for a few minutes.
8. After you receive the weapon(IF), start going through it to make sure it works, then see which upgrades you want.

The way that will insure you spend quality time in the shower with Big Bubba:

FTF Industries: Full Auto AR-15 Modificaton Manual

Option 3, which at this date is legal, and cheaper than either of the above:
1. Buy thick rubber band, about 12 cents.
2. Loop band around trigger, then magazine, then back around trigger again.
3. Learn to bumpfire.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #70

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver
I guess I'll get in on this one and give my opinion too. Having had a full-auto CAR-15 that I carried in Vietnam I would only have used the full-auto feature under the most dire of situations. The silly thing had such a fast cyclic rate on "sprinkle" that I felt it was of little advantage to have one dead bad guy with 30 holes in him and an empty gun in my hand. The average shooter can fire a semi-auto rifle plenty fast enough and maintain control of where he's shooting at the same time.

It made a lot of sense when the Marines went to the 3-round "burst-fire" M-16's in lieu of the full-auto. In a combat situation they found that many soldiers would squeeze the trigger at the first sign of trouble and empty their weapons in the first 2-seconds of the fight because they forgot to let go of the trigger. With the 3-round burst-fire M16, the worst that would happen if the trigger was not released was that 3-round were going to be wasted leaving 27-rounds in the magazine for the immediate fight at-hand.

I'm not against full-auto weapons and think they are plenty cool, but I can assure you that in combat you'll do much better with a semi-auto or burst-fire weapon.
+1million and amen.