Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Full auto ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I had a chance to fire a Slide Fire at the Media Day at the Range as part of SHOT 2012 in Jan.
It works well, and gives the sensation of FA legally.
Having said that, it is a toy, and because the entire gun shuttles back and forth, the sights are also bouncing back and forth also.
I found it a bit difficult to aim accurately with short bursts, but easy to walk it onto target with a long burst.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5243 Times on 2734 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_gen View Post
Some birdies told me a while ago that it's as simple as filing/sanding specific pieces to change one to full auto. How true that is, I'll never know, I don't have 10 years to blow in a 6x6.
totally not true.

you cant file or sand any part to make it go full auto. while it is possible to make runaway type full auto your more likely to shoot yourself with such a light trigger. if its managed the slightest bump will set iit off and no way to stop it until the rifle runs out of bullets.

as for converting one your going to need a SOT FFL, a milling machine, drill press and a lot of skill in fitting parts. its not somthing you can just wack together.

as stated above doing so without federal permits you get a free trip to prison.

if you want a real one im listing mine in the classified section soon. look for the pics there in a few days

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

He is right to do it correctly you have to do a lot of modifications to a few key components.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

totally not true.

you cant file or sand any part to make it go full auto. while it is possible to make runaway type full auto your more likely to shoot yourself with such a light trigger. if its managed the slightest bump will set iit off and no way to stop it until the rifle runs out of bullets.

as for converting one your going to need a SOT FFL, a milling machine, drill press and a lot of skill in fitting parts. its not somthing you can just wack together.

as stated above doing so without federal permits you get a free trip to prison.

if you want a real one im listing mine in the classified section soon. look for the pics there in a few days
I know about as much of modding weapons illegally as I do speaking Russian and I DON'T wanna spend the "back nine" of my life behind bars. : )

Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #15

Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts

US ARMY ARMORER HERE. just fyi. an ar 15 (with its original parts) CANNOT be modified to function fa like an m16. parts must be replaced and added (bolt carrier, auto sear, hammer, disconnecter, etc)

Old 03-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
US ARMY ARMORER HERE. just fyi. an ar 15 (with its original parts) CANNOT be modified to function fa like an m16. parts must be replaced and added (bolt carrier, auto sear, hammer, disconnecter, etc)
You are correct sir!!!! And thanks for your service!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

At the risk of a called penalty for piling-on......

IF a firearm is designed so that it may be "readily converted" to full auto, that firearm would be (and has been) banned by the BATFE.

The full auto fire control parts that would be needed to make an AR-15 into an M-16 have no place the fit- there is a difference in the milling and machining of the receiver.

Is it possible to convert a semi to a full auto? Sure- don't clean the dried grease out of the firing pin channel on an SKS- first time you drop the bolt on a loaded cartridge it will empty the mag before you can burp. It will be uncontrolled, and like most liberals, damned near useless.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #18

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
At the risk of a called penalty for piling-on......

IF a firearm is designed so that it may be "readily converted" to full auto, that firearm would be (and has been) banned by the BATFE.

The full auto fire control parts that would be needed to make an AR-15 into an M-16 have no place the fit- there is a difference in the milling and machining of the receiver.

Is it possible to convert a semi to a full auto? Sure- don't clean the dried grease out of the firing pin channel on an SKS- first time you drop the bolt on a loaded cartridge it will empty the mag before you can burp. It will be uncontrolled, and like most liberals, damned near useless.
Damned near?

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #19

Liked 207 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 261

You can take a thick rubber band (about 50 cents) loop it from the trigger, around the mag well, and back to the trigger again and it makes it easier to bumpfire. No worrys about the ATF, legal in about 48 states, and your only major expense is ammo. It is fun for a little bit , until you realize you just wasted 300 bucks of ammo (the cheap stuff) in about 5 minutes.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
You can take a thick rubber band (about 50 cents) loop it from the trigger, around the mag well, and back to the trigger again and it makes it easier to bumpfire. No worrys about the ATF, legal in about 48 states, and your only major expense is ammo. It is fun for a little bit , until you realize you just wasted 300 bucks of ammo (the cheap stuff) in about 5 minutes.
Having fired a bunch of different types of full auto. rifles from the Thompson to the M-60 and everything in between, I find that I am much more effective and accurate shooting in semi-auto mode and just firing it quickly. The full auto. bursts have a tendancy to go all over the place, you know "spray & pray". I've never felt that I was undergunned by just having a reliable "semi" in my hands. In combat where we could only carry a very limited amount of ammo, I would have only used auto. fire under direst of circumstances like being overrun by a large commie horde.

Additionally as stated above, full auto. fire is a huge waste of ammo, especially if you're the one paying the bill.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 03-22-2012 at 01:54 PM.