Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Front sight/gasblock? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/front-sight-gasblock-89749/)

lbwar15 04-28-2013 10:38 PM

Front sight/gasblock?
 
Planing to put a MOE four grip on my M&P. I also won't to have back up sights on it. Is there any way to mount the MBUS front sight on the MOE hand guard? Or should I just buy a new gas block with front sight post? If a new gas block is the way to go what are some recommendations?

sputnik1988 04-28-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15 (Post 1230421)
Planing to put a MOE four grip on my M&P. I also won't to have back up sights on it. Is there any way to mount the MBUS front sight on the MOE hand guard? Or should I just buy a new gas block with front sight post? If a new gas block is the way to go what are some recommendations?

The top of the MOE handguard isn't flat, so no way to mount the sight, what type of gas block do you have now?

purehavoc 04-28-2013 11:01 PM

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=ar15/m16_sights_sights-front&keyword=&pagenumber=3
I like the wilson combat gas block sight but the yhm is alot cheaper. There are also several other ones on those 4 pages

lbwar15 04-28-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988

The top of the MOE handguard isn't flat, so no way to mount the sight, what type of gas block do you have now?

Just the flat top that came with my M&P.

lbwar15 04-28-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=ar15/m16_sights_sights-front&keyword=&pagenumber=3
I like the wilson combat gas block sight but the yhm is alot cheaper. There are also several other ones on those 4 pages

Are any of those plastic? I wouldn't wont it to melt.

purehavoc 04-29-2013 12:12 AM

No the one with the built in gas block are steel or aluminum

fsted2a 04-30-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15 (Post 1230421)
Planing to put a MOE four grip on my M&P. I also won't to have back up sights on it. Is there any way to mount the MBUS front sight on the MOE hand guard? Or should I just buy a new gas block with front sight post? If a new gas block is the way to go what are some recommendations?

Is your existing gas block pinned, or is it clamped on or screwed in? If it is pinned, I suggest you take it to a gunsmith to change it, otherwise you might end up effing up your barrel, unless you are confident in your ability. The reason I bring this up is from past experience and the experience of others. The last time I removed one with pins, I had to use a hydraulic press to get the pins out. Took a while. I imagine if it wasn't for the press, I probably wouldn't even have fooled with it.

Quentin 04-30-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15 (Post 1230421)
Planing to put a MOE four grip on my M&P. I also won't to have back up sights on it. Is there any way to mount the MBUS front sight on the MOE hand guard? Or should I just buy a new gas block with front sight post? If a new gas block is the way to go what are some recommendations?


Quote:

...what type of gas block do you have now?
Quote:

Just the flat top that came with my M&P.

Am I the only one who doesn't have a clue what you're saying? You do want backup sights, right? And what do you now have for a front sight? Nothing/low profile gas block with no rail or the standard A2 FSB?

As sputnik1988 already said you shouldn't mount a front sight on the MOE handguard.

fsted2a 05-01-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1232222)
Am I the only one who doesn't have a clue what you're saying? You do want backup sights, right? And what do you now have for a front sight? Nothing/low profile gas block with no rail or the standard A2 FSB?

As sputnik1988 already said you shouldn't mount a front sight on the MOE handguard.

I think the OP should fire a couple hundred rounds to figure out what he really wants first. Then take his rifle to a competent AR gunsmith and have this talk with him. Otherwise, it sounds like to me he is going to end up in a short time with a disassembled AR that spends a lot of time without being used.

nate913 05-02-2013 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I did today. I put the sights on my rails


Attachment 98904

It works for now.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:34 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.