Free Floating Rail system Length
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Free Floating Rail system Length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default Free Floating Rail system Length

I am wondering if I get a FFQR can I get one that is longer than my current carbine length MOE handgaurd? Is there any thing I should look four in picking one out before I buy one?

forumrunner_20120127_135633.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #2

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Got better pictures? That would help a lot. It's hard to make out the gas block, what is it? If you can slip the rail over the block and if it will work with your existing barrel nut, then maybe ...

Does your front sight attach to the gas block?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #3

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Got better pictures? That would help a lot. It's hard to make out the gas block, what is it? If you can slip the rail over the block and if it will work with your existing barrel nut, then maybe ...

Does your front sight attach to the gas block?
Looks like a railed gas block with a flip up front sight. Either way the delta ring and cap need to come off and they will NOT get over that gas block, nor will the threaded barrel nut for the free float. Might as well go with a lo pro since it needs to come off anyways, that'll open up the options for the free float rail.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Vltor casv will work with at gas block, and you don't have to remove the delta ring.

To answer the op, for most FF rails or handguards you can use them on any carbine gassed AR. You will probably have to replace that gas block tho and remove the delta ring and maybe change the barrel nut. Its may seem like alot but you can do it if you'd like!

A yhm lo pro gas block is pretty cheap at about $40.

As I said before a VLTOR CASV system allows you to use just about everything except the front hanguard cap.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #5

You can buy FF handguards that are carbine (usually 7") , mid (maybe 8 or 9") and rifle length (some as low as 11"others I've seen up to 15"), the biggest thing is your gas block. Make sure that your gas block is either a low-pro that will accommodate the inside dimension or is cut out. Some guys don't like them, but there are 2 piece ones out there. One of my AR15's has one and it works fine, but then I'm not a top dollar race gun guy - but i will use what works.

Do you really want that much rail though?

Last edited by lunarmanathome; 01-30-2012 at 03:16 AM.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #6

I am really looking to be able too fully extend my left arm to reduce recoil while increasing accuracy.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Remove the muzzle devise, slide off that railed gas block, remove the delta ring or purchase a barrel nut w/o a ring, install a low profile gas block (YHM makes a micro block and use loctite on the set screw), reinstall your muzzle devise and lastly install your rail of choice (look for something that uses your stock barrel nut so you don't have to worry about torquing it back correctly). It's probably 30 minutes, less if you don't have to cut off the delta ring.

For your purpose a 13" rail would get you support hand out far enough.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #8

Thats my girl

forumrunner_20120305_080858.jpg

Old 03-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

What rail is that?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #10

Fire Field I found on Gunbroker 10.5 inch $66.