Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Free Floating Rail system Length (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/free-floating-rail-system-length-56447/)

GREGULON 01-27-2012 08:56 PM

Free Floating Rail system Length

1 Attachment(s)
I am wondering if I get a FFQR can I get one that is longer than my current carbine length MOE handgaurd? Is there any thing I should look four in picking one out before I buy one?

Attachment 38272

Quentin 01-28-2012 12:04 AM

Got better pictures? That would help a lot. It's hard to make out the gas block, what is it? If you can slip the rail over the block and if it will work with your existing barrel nut, then maybe ...

Does your front sight attach to the gas block?

Jpyle 01-28-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 691399)
Got better pictures? That would help a lot. It's hard to make out the gas block, what is it? If you can slip the rail over the block and if it will work with your existing barrel nut, then maybe ...

Does your front sight attach to the gas block?

Looks like a railed gas block with a flip up front sight. Either way the delta ring and cap need to come off and they will NOT get over that gas block, nor will the threaded barrel nut for the free float. Might as well go with a lo pro since it needs to come off anyways, that'll open up the options for the free float rail.

AgentTikki 01-28-2012 12:27 AM

Vltor casv will work with at gas block, and you don't have to remove the delta ring.

To answer the op, for most FF rails or handguards you can use them on any carbine gassed AR. You will probably have to replace that gas block tho and remove the delta ring and maybe change the barrel nut. Its may seem like alot but you can do it if you'd like!

A yhm lo pro gas block is pretty cheap at about $40.

As I said before a VLTOR CASV system allows you to use just about everything except the front hanguard cap.

lunarmanathome 01-29-2012 12:03 AM

You can buy FF handguards that are carbine (usually 7") , mid (maybe 8 or 9") and rifle length (some as low as 11"others I've seen up to 15"), the biggest thing is your gas block. Make sure that your gas block is either a low-pro that will accommodate the inside dimension or is cut out. Some guys don't like them, but there are 2 piece ones out there. One of my AR15's has one and it works fine, but then I'm not a top dollar race gun guy - but i will use what works.

Do you really want that much rail though?

GREGULON 01-29-2012 10:47 PM

I am really looking to be able too fully extend my left arm to reduce recoil while increasing accuracy.

mjkeat 01-29-2012 11:01 PM

Remove the muzzle devise, slide off that railed gas block, remove the delta ring or purchase a barrel nut w/o a ring, install a low profile gas block (YHM makes a micro block and use loctite on the set screw), reinstall your muzzle devise and lastly install your rail of choice (look for something that uses your stock barrel nut so you don't have to worry about torquing it back correctly). It's probably 30 minutes, less if you don't have to cut off the delta ring.

For your purpose a 13" rail would get you support hand out far enough.

GREGULON 03-05-2012 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thats my girl

Attachment 40745

mjkeat 03-05-2012 04:07 PM

What rail is that?

GREGULON 03-05-2012 10:16 PM

Fire Field I found on Gunbroker 10.5 inch $66.