Free floating handguards

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Free floating handguards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Default Free floating handguards

I'm lookin for a free floating handguard that is able to be attached with a standard barrel nut. Basically so I don't have to take my gas block back off. Anyone have any suggestions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Are you looking for a tube or a railed unit?

I'm currently running a AP Customs 15" carbon fiber tube. It's perfect for a game gun, not so much for a utility rifle

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #3

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Using a free float handguard will require a different barrel nut. You'll have to remove your gas block. Not a big deal though.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Using a free float handguard will require a different barrel nut. You'll have to remove your gas block. Not a big deal though.
Not always the case, my Centurian C4 rail uses the standard barrel nut and it's free float.

I just got a Troy VTAC Battlerail Alpha that is also free float and uses the standard barrel nut.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #5

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Didn't know that.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #6

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Midwest Industries 2 Piece Free Float Handguard System Gen2

Weight 9.0 oz, Length 7 inches, Width 2.3 inches, Height 2.43 inches

Midwest Industry's innovative 2 piece Free Float Forearm design allows easier installation over single piece units that require front gas block sight removal. These Quad Rail Handguards include desired laser etched USGI T-marks for accessory location and instantly improve accuracy by reducing strain on barrel harmonics. MII Generation II AR15 Forearms are sure to be the new standard for fit, finish, and value in tactical handguards. Made in USA.

http://vtsupply.com/midwest-industries-2-piece-m4-carbine-free-float-forearm-ar-15.html

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 10-16-2012, 04:24 AM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
My AP tube runs a STD nut as well.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:38 AM   #8

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124
I'm lookin for a free floating handguard that is able to be attached with a standard barrel nut. Basically so I don't have to take my gas block back off. Anyone have any suggestions.
Troy rails are really nice, theyre light and you can add a rail any where you want. Took me all of 2 minutes to take off add a rail and out back on. There not as fat as the other freefloats and they're really goid product

forumrunner_20121015_233745.jpg

forumrunner_20121015_233707.jpg

Old 10-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig

Troy rails are really nice, theyre light and you can add a rail any where you want. Took me all of 2 minutes to take off add a rail and out back on. There not as fat as the other freefloats and they're really goid product
This is what I want exactly. Do I have to remove the gas block or anything to install??

Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 517

If the handguard not a two piece style and the gas block is not low profile, yes the GB will need to be removed.

If the gas block is a low profile style, the handguard may slide over it, but still depends on the barrel nut. To change a barrel nut the GB must be removed.

I recently cut down a pin on front sight an converted it to a low profile.