Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Free Float vs 2 piece handguard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Max,

If you are just wanting a Handguard with the rails on them you might take a look at the Surefire Rifle Length 2 piece unit. The DEA, FBI and other Federal agencies use the Surefire Model M-73 which is the carbine version of the same 2 piece handguard and rail system. They are easy to install but you must re-zero the rifle after installation. Because as Dillinger stated it will change the barrel harmonics by installing. But once you have done the re-zero it will stay the same unless you change something else that has contact or effects the barrel harmonics. The free float requires front sight and barrel removal.

The Surefire looks like a great rail. Im guessing it is a Free Float, it did not specify. I will give that one a hard look and do some reading.

mj,
Most of the rife length rails that i have found are in the 15-17oz range, without spending over $300 anyway. There are alot of good options out there, i still have some research to do.

Thanks for all the input fellas! That was a great post by Dillinger!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX4utah View Post
The Surefire looks like a great rail. Im guessing it is a Free Float, it did not specify. I will give that one a hard look and do some reading.

mj,
Most of the rife length rails that i have found are in the 15-17oz range, without spending over $300 anyway. There are alot of good options out there, i still have some research to do.

Thanks for all the input fellas! That was a great post by Dillinger!
Thats what I like about the Troy TRX Ext. Theyre just over 10oz and roughly $170 for the 13" version.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #13

Thanks for all the help on this guys! I just picked up a Surefire M82 rail for my SP1. Cant wait to get it! Got a great deal on it from a servicemen who returned from Iraq.