Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Free Float tube question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Free Float tube question

So i was doing some screwing around on this pimp my gun site, and it really put some ideas in my head. So the question is how difficult would it be to remove the A2 front sight(let alone is it possible without screwing up the operation of the rifle) so that i can put a low-pro gas block and install a Daniel Defense Omega 12.0 free float tube on my BCM midlength 16" upper?

The second one down is what i'm thinking. I recently picked up a Spotting Scope/Rifle Scope combo for a smoking deal which got me thinking that i wanna throw the scope on my AR for some long range fun at the range. Now i know i could probably mount a scope as is with no problems but just figure it would make it just a lil more "scope friendly" with free float tube and flip up sights. Don't mind the bottom rifle was just toying with the idea of a 20" barrel build . Any opinions are welcomed and appreciated as usual I've also considered the option of building another upper with this set-up but i fear it will only turn into another rifle haha

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5119 Times on 2665 Posts
Likes Given: 310

its pretty easy to do. you will need a barrel nut wrench to remove the barrel nut and install the free float one. just knock the front sight base pins out remove the barrel nut replace it all with the desired parts.

just make sure your knocking the fsb pins out the right way some go left some right.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
its pretty easy to do. you will need a barrel nut wrench to remove the barrel nut and install the free float one. just knock the front sight base pins out remove the barrel nut replace it all with the desired parts.

just make sure your knocking the fsb pins out the right way some go left some right.
Awesome, thanks Jon

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

Old 08-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 458

It may be necessary to re-bend the gas tube. A tubing bender is a good item to have access to.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

And be aware that a change to the gas tube dimension can screw with the BCG cycle timing.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #6

Liked 926 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 902

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller83 View Post
... I've also considered the option of building another upper with this set-up but i fear it will only turn into another rifle haha
ZK, I think this is your best option. The BCM upper is very handy as is and it's done right. Mods can make it unreliable as Cane pointed out. I'd keep it as is and buy a good upper already optimized for scope work. Many of us end up with two or more ARs and I bet you do too. So I'd put the money for conversion into another upper instead. And with the extra upper, then you have no excuse not to build another lower!

Also, have you tried mounting your scope already? The front sight probably won't be an issue anyway...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I recomend using a pinned lo pro gas block or just shaving down the one you have and reusing it if you go that route.

A 2nd upper is nice to have if you plan on using different optics and not spending the money for a good true return to zero mount like a Larue.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks guys, guess it's time to start saving up for that 20" build hehe Will probably work out better this way with a longer barrel for a bit more accuracy for longer shots

Old 08-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Theres a video you should watch. Its not so much making the distance as it is terminal balistics once it gets there.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Qa3NGYcZ__M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>