Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > free float handguard help/info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Default free float handguard help/info

I have a DPMS (5.56) Oracle and I would like to get a free float handguard for it. It has a railed gas block. I assume I would need to get a lower profile gas block for a handguard longer than 7"? Any recommendations as to what to look into, gas block and handguard? Not overly interested in lots of rails on it, but must be able to put bipod under it. Im leaning towards a 10" unless theres good reason to look at a different length. Thanks in advance for any help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #2

Liked 571 Times on 303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntyhntr6975
I have a DPMS (5.56) Oracle and I would like to get a free float handguard for it. It has a railed gas block. I assume I would need to get a lower profile gas block for a handguard longer than 7"? Any recommendations as to what to look into, gas block and handguard? Not overly interested in lots of rails on it, but must be able to put bipod under it. Im leaning towards a 10" unless theres good reason to look at a different length. Thanks in advance for any help.
Your right, a low profile gas block is first, then at least a 9" rail to cover it nicely. Rails are all the buyers preference. I have quad rail a and smooth free floats. They should all have hole taped into them so you can add rail panels where you need them. If all you want is a bi pod then Get a float with a flat top rail with the ability to screw in panels underneath. Check out Diamondhead, it's my new favorite.
image-3495880251.jpg   image-967578601.jpg  

Old 10-07-2013, 03:10 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My son in law recently picked up a DPMS Oracle 5.56 with the stainless barrel. We installed a Yankee Hill Machine Mid Length Free Float Tube. It came with a full length top rail and a 3" rail that could be put on either side of the bottom (we put it on the bottom front of the free float tube). We also used a Yankee Hill Machine Low Profile Gas Block to fit inside of the free float tube.

On my own DPMS Oracle 5.56 I simply ground the picatinny rail off of the top of my gas block and installed a Hogue Rifle Length Aluminum Knurled Free Float Tube. This worked well also.

Larry

Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #4

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Noveske NSR rails are very nice. Extremely lite weight. Rail on top and places to add extra rail on the sides and bottom. If you put a 15" rail on it you have the option of getting the full length sight radius. The NSR rails are pricey but the weight reduction is worth every penny in my opinion. Good luck with your choice!

Old 10-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #5

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Look at YHM:http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=90

YHM also for a gas block

check joeboboutfitters.com

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #6

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Thanks for the replies so far. The Diamondheads do look nice, a buddy has one and really likes it.
I am not above milling off the rail on my gas block, have the tools for that and so much more.
Ive been looking them up, and its not easy to find FF tubes that are not cluttered up with rails. At the most, short rails on top and bottom, is all I would ever use. And most likely never use the top tail.
I may just go with a knurled aluminum tube and put a 3 or 4" rail under it.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If I had a DPMS I would just spend a little more and get a complete upper with a free float hand guard. This way you can add or build a quality lower over time and you will have 2 rifles. I got a Bushmaster as my first, and was going to put a free float on it but with some of the prices at PSA and other places I can get a quality upper for a couple hundred more than a high end hand guard. Just a thought. I don't want to spend a ton of money dressing up a Bushmaster.