Free Float Hand Guard
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Free Float Hand Guard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default Free Float Hand Guard

I have an RRA Elite Operator 2 and I want to replace the hand guard. I know it's a free float and I want to replace it with a Magpul MOE hand guard to reduce the weight as well as the heat.

Anyhow, I want to know. Can I install the MOE hand guard on a free float or not?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1217 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I believe that is a no. The Magpul MOE rests against the front sight/gas block and is not free floating.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well I guess I should have said it depends on the type of gas block, and you would need to add a standard barrel nut, delta ring and the hand guard cap that supports the front of the hand guard on the gas block.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 12-29-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Clarity

Old 12-29-2012, 05:25 AM   #4

So, are you saying with those things I can install it for sure. Or, are you saying with those things I might be able to depending on the gas block?

Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

I'm trying to decide wether or not to make mine a free float. I have an OEM m4 right now. I don't know of I want to make it look tactical or keep it original looking.

spit hell fire

Old 12-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #6

Liked 764 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
So, are you saying with those things I can install it for sure. Or, are you saying with those things I might be able to depending on the gas block?
Think that is what he is saying...the Magpul is set up to use the standard barrel nut, delta rings and hand guard cap assembly which rests up against the standard A2 FSP. If your current setup uses a low profile gas block the hand guard cap may not fit properly and cause the hand guard to lose tension against the delta ring.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #7

How can I find out if it will work or not?

EDIT: If it will help, here's a picture. This is not my rifle, but it has the same front sight and gas block.

p1040003.jpg  

Last edited by Polygon; 12-29-2012 at 06:08 AM.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #8

Liked 764 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Quote:
How can I find out if it will work or not?
eyeball the gas block and see if it will allow this setup...the gas block only needs to hold the cap in place, it doesn't attach to it. Not sure if it will work with that sight...is that a YHM flip up?

http://youtu.be/JCLvirSprEs

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 12-29-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Yes, with some changes to barrel nut, etc. you could convert to two piece non-FF hand guard.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #10

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Yes, with some changes to barrel nut, etc. you could convert to two piece non-FF hand guard.
No.

2 piece aluminum handguards fit in the stock delta ring setup.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?