Franken-AR... would appreciate any input/info...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Franken-AR... would appreciate any input/info...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Default Franken-AR... would appreciate any input/info...

Ok... here I am again needing information and input.

This is always my go to place when something like this comes up. First off, I am NOT an AR expert or a gunsmith, I am simply a guy who likes firearms. I know a little, but more importantly I know that I don't know enough.

Now on to the story...

My brother decided to buy an AR not long after the Sandy Hook situation. I tend to be the families "go to" guy on gun stuff so he asked me about it. I told him at the time that I, personally, would be uncomfortable with this purchase - both the price and the lack of information. I also told him that it was his money and if he felt comfortable with the principals... do what he thought was best.

This AR was a "custom build" a friend of a friend put together for a guy, and when it was finished the guy "couldn't come up with the money" and the builder needed to move it; so he could give my brother a "good deal".

Shortly thereafter my brother called me and said that the thing wouldn't sight in he couldn't hardly even get it on paper, let alone bullseyes. My brother lives 400 miles away from me. After a couple of months, I got up to my brothers and could tell that the front sight (gas block?) was visibly out of line with the rear sight. I showed my brother and he took it back to the guy to get it "fixed".

Several weeks later when he got it back, the front sight (gas block?) was gone it had a quad rail on it with a fold down BUIS. The bottom of the barrel now has a "groove" where I'm assuming the old gas block was staked(?). When my brother complained, the guy threw on a screw on "laser" (on the barrel in front of the gas block and a "red dot" scope (both of these probably cost the guy about $20 altogether).

The fold down front sight is higher than the rear sight and the "retention ring" (holds the back end of the quad rail) will not sit "even" (the bottom of the ring is held back towards the receiver just a fraction. I have removed the quad rail and re-attached it and it still does the same thing.

I am going to list as much of the details as I know about this weapon and some pics, you guys feel free to offer any input or information you can. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Lower= Omni (American Tactical Imports)
Upper= RRA UTE2 (integral rear sight and flat top)
Barrel= 20"
quad rail= approx 11.5"

It was supposed to have "Colt" lower parts, but I have no idea if it does or what to look for to be able to tell.

Now the Pics... I included a pic of the gas tube going into the upper, just because it looked hinky to me...

File Type: jpg upper-lower.jpg (29.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg gas block.jpg (19.2 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg gas tube into upper 2.jpg (20.5 KB, 115 views)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Tell your brother to get his money back , Period

Old 09-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1105 Times on 776 Posts
Likes Given: 1117

Well as you said it is a FrankenAR. Looks slapped together by a bubba with cheap or scrounged parts including the polymer lower. Sounds like he's had it too long to get back his money especially since he probably paid an inflated Sandy Hook price. I'd keep working on it to get it working right, with today's great prices for ARs it doesn't have much value complete or parted out.

Maybe get it working, keep it as a beater then buy/build a good AR while prices are good. Next panic he can see if someone else is as desperate as he was. It would be ideal for a mall ninja with money who never actually shoots it!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-08-2014 at 05:45 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 287 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 42

FrankenGun indeed. I can't imagine anyone 'custom' building a heavy 20" SS (heavier still, being RRA) on a cheap and weightless OMNI lower. It just doesn't make sense, unless you're slapping a buncha parts together out of whatever can be found in a panic market. Must be a really front-heavy gun. There are other little details that probably don't add up as well. It's a spare parts gun for sure.

I'd part it out or sell it off cheap. My guess is that'll cause less pain than the cost of getting it right. The gun might work fine...but all the little details that don't fit would drive my OCD over a cliff.

Anyone who played with Legos as a kid can assemble a functional AR. The skill is in understanding the parts, quality materials, and build scheme that will acheive the desired final product. Certain aspects ought to compliment each other (gas system, barrel length, weight ratios, etc). An ideal build doesn't have to be $2500...it can also be $800.

People Like This 
Old 09-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 69

If you don't mind telling.. how much did your brother pay for it?

Old 09-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #6

Liked 61 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Tell your brother to get his money back , Period
Not an option at this point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well as you said it is a FrankenAR. Looks slapped together by a bubba with cheap or scrounged parts including the polymer lower. Sounds like he's had it too long to get back his money especially since he probably paid an inflated Sandy Hook price. I'd keep working on it to get it working right, with today's great prices for ARs it doesn't have much value complete or parted out.

Maybe get it working, keep it as a beater then buy/build a good AR while prices are good. Next panic he can see if someone else is as desperate as he was. It would be ideal for a mall ninja with money who never actually shoots it!
I agree with this assessment, any suggestions on making it "right" (or righter)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
FrankenGun indeed. I can't imagine anyone 'custom' building a heavy 20" SS (heavier still, being RRA) on a cheap and weightless OMNI lower. It just doesn't make sense, unless you're slapping a buncha parts together out of whatever can be found in a panic market. Must be a really front-heavy gun. There are other little details that probably don't add up as well. It's a spare parts gun for sure.
My thoughts exactly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
If you don't mind telling.. how much did your brother pay for it?
$1,100.00 with 2 or 3 mags and a couple hundred rounds of ammo...

RJ

Old 09-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1105 Times on 776 Posts
Likes Given: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
FrankenGun indeed. I can't imagine anyone 'custom' building a heavy 20" SS (heavier still, being RRA) on a cheap and weightless OMNI lower. It just doesn't make sense, unless you're slapping a buncha parts together out of whatever can be found in a panic market. Must be a really front-heavy gun. There are other little details that probably don't add up as well...
I agree, it has to be terribly front heavy, way too much for that poor polymer lower. The upper and lower need to be separated, probably parted out. Or if he wants to keep one or the other he could use the lower with a lighter upper, a 22lr upper would be ideal. The heavy upper needs to be on a 7075-T6 lower.

Sadly there were a lot of hard luck AR stories right after Sandy Hook.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

People Like This 
Old 09-09-2014, 01:28 AM   #8

Liked 2433 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJammer View Post
Not an option at this point...

I agree with this assessment, any suggestions on making it "right" (or righter)?

My thoughts exactly....

RJ
Ouch! I see about $400 worth of parts.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:55 AM   #9

Liked 2609 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Even with a complete Colt system, a long bull barrel is going to

make the rifle front heavy. I love my HBAR, but balance is

no part of the picture.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 287 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJammer View Post
That's a pretty tame mistake compared to much of what was happening in early 2013. Bud's was auctioning off scores of Bushmaster C15 rifles one at a time, and they were all going for north of $2000. You can buy the same rifle today for under $600 (I've seen it under $500).

A lot of folks paid 3X normal prices for parts, ammo, mags, and full rifles. Your brother's gonna eat a few hundred bucks on this one, but his lesson is coming cheaper than it did for many.
People Like This