Found a Lower I want but ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Found a Lower I want but ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 2995 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Anytime you ahve a billet lower you are doing well
not always...

billet just means its milled out of a block of aluminum which is first cast into the block. forged means it was cast into the shape skipping the machining part.

with aluminum there is no structural difference in metals of the same grade when it comes to carving out of a block of aluminum or pouring into a mold.

what IS important is, is the lower made to milspec tolerances or better??

in a upper, if your machinists are very good and using new or very good condition cutting tools you can get very close tolerances from carving out of a billet of aluminum. this matters for uppers, for lowers long as it meets milspec it doesnt matter. all the accuracy of a AR15 is in the upper.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #12

Liked 1018 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

JonM makes an excellent point. As long as the lower is milspec where it needs to be (I.E. accept milspec lower parts and fit well with standard uppers and magazines) then forged or billet will do. So there's no requirement to go billet unless you want other niceties such as different styling, a flared magwell, no roll pins, custom trigger guard, special engraving, a screw to remove upper/lower slop, etc. Again, niceties but not necessary. QD does milspec and niceties as well as anyone so I couldn't resist their US Army Edition, especially since Quentin is my middle name.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5732 Times on 2995 Posts
Likes Given: 379

one other point i forgot to put in there.

companies like rra are forged lowers but you will have a DAMN hard time finding a tighter fitting closer tolerence lower than the basic RRA lower. i use their lowers in most of my rifles. i have one colt one bcm lower the wife has a bcm lower as i bought hers complete. the rra lowers blow the colt and bcm away for fitment.

just because its forged doesnt mean loose. just because its billet doesnt mean tight fitment. it boils down to how the final fitting and machine work are done.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...