Forward release on an AR - like the appendix?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Forward release on an AR - like the appendix?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Forward release on an AR - like the appendix?

Is the forward release on the AR kinda like the human appendix?

While I realize that the forward release serves a function (unlike the appendix), much of the research I've done tells me NEVER to use it and that it's kind of a superfluous part of the rifle left over from the battlefield, where it was used to help seat cartridges that might jam a little because of fouling built up from LOTS of usage.

Do any of you ever use this feature on your ARs?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Is the forward release on the AR kinda like the human appendix?

While I realize that the forward release serves a function (unlike the appendix), much of the research I've done tells me NEVER to use it and that it's kind of a superfluous part of the rifle left over from the battlefield, where it was used to help seat cartridges that might jam a little because of fouling built up from LOTS of usage.

Do any of you ever use this feature on your ARs?
I think you are referring to the forward assist. "Never use it"? It's one of those things that you don't use unless you need it. Odds are, depending on how you use your rifle, you won't need to, but, it has the potential to save your life in a FTRTB situation, caused by fouling, ammunition, or mechanical failure.

I haven't used the forward assist since I left the Army, where by the way, it was used quite a bit. There are several AR's on the market that are "slick sides". i.e. - no FA and no dust cover. I have one, but It's not a combat weapon, just used for small game and target work. My M4 Carbine has an FA, and, I'm glad it's there "just in case".

cheers

Old 02-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

You can single load a round, slowly ride the charging handle forward as far as it will go, then push the FA to get the bolt to seat in battery.
Its a little bit quieter than just dropping the bolt. Can be useful for hunting or where you need to keep noise to a minimum.

This is all in theory because I'm not allowed to hunt with semi-auto's in PA

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #4

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
I think you are referring to the forward assist. "Never use it"? It's one of those things that you don't use unless you need it. Odds are, depending on how you use your rifle, you won't need to, but, it has the potential to save your life in a FTRTB situation, caused by fouling, ammunition, or mechanical failure.

I haven't used the forward assist since I left the Army, where by the way, it was used quite a bit. There are several AR's on the market that are "slick sides". i.e. - no FA and no dust cover. I have one, but It's not a combat weapon, just used for small game and target work. My M4 Carbine has an FA, and, I'm glad it's there "just in case".

cheers
Of course, I meant "Forward Assist." Thanks for your response!

Old 02-10-2010, 03:10 AM   #5

It's not a bad habit to start tapping every time you throw in a new mag. That's how we're trained, and it's come in handy a few times already. I'm also left handed, so I hit it with my non firing hand. I can do just about everything better left handed on a basic AR except for work the selector switch, that takes adjusting my grip a little and hitting it with my thumb.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:43 AM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The only time I needed it I was glad I had it. I had an obstruction keeping the bolt from going to battery, so I used the forward assist to seat the bolt so I could take it apart.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me