forward assist?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > forward assist?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 03:51 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 811 Times on 418 Posts

Default forward assist?

1) what is the standard configuration, with or without?

2) if given the option on an upper is it needed, who has actually needed to use it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

1) the standard config is with, its the more affordable, cheaper models that generally lack it.

2) its my opionion that having an upper without one is silly. ive used mine as many times as i've brushed my teeth. its one of the things that you really could live without if you had to, but why? again, ive used mine tons of times and it wouldn't seem right to not have it. especially if you happen to ever have a time when you need it and its not there.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #3

Liked 516 Times on 284 Posts

Mine has the forward assist, but have never needed it. To be honest if for some reason the bolt didn't go into battery all the way the last thing I would do is hit the assist. I'd be more inclined to find out why. Mil spec calls for assist.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:13 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 811 Times on 418 Posts

Thanks, considering the vis and it gives you the option. I know it's overkill but it's also simple, less to go wrong, easier barrel changes plus I think it will hold it's value well.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

the common config is with them.

my preference is without. they are simply unneeded. they came about from the early days of the m16 when extremely dirty ammo was used and no cleaning kits issued. the military thought there was a need.

the military teaches tap rack bang type failure remedy. however if you have a squib round and you tap that new round in you get a kaboom. my thinking is it lends the impression that if a round is reluctant to chamber just force it in... my belief is that the forward assist leads to a lot of otherwise avoidable kabooms

its just hard to find a good upper reciever without that wart on the side

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
the common config is with them.

my preference is without. they are simply unneeded. they came about from the early days of the m16 when extremely dirty ammo was used and no cleaning kits issued. the military thought there was a need.

the military teaches tap rack bang type failure remedy. however if you have a squib round and you tap that new round in you get a kaboom. my thinking is it lends the impression that if a round is reluctant to chamber just force it in... my belief is that the forward assist leads to a lot of otherwise avoidable kabooms

its just hard to find a good upper reciever without that wart on the side
Quite w The opposite. I use mine after almost all loads. Insert magazine send bolt home. Do a small brass check( pulling bolt to rear just enough to see brass in chamber) release handle hit forward assist to be certain bolt is all the way forward. This actually helps reduce serious injury.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
albertl Likes This 
Old 10-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #7

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

if i'm not mistaken (and i usually am ), the forward assist was incorporated into the M16 after the rolling bolt system wasn't closin all the way..........on a controlled feed, or a "quiet" loading.

customarily tho, the M16/M4/AR-15 is "cracked and wracked." the full force of the compressed buffer spring sends the BCG slammin home makin sure the rolling bolt is in battery.

if a "quiet" loading is required, or warranted, the charging handle is pulled back, and then eased forward..........pickin up the live round and forcin it into the breech. in order to make sure to "seat" and fully close the rolling bolt, the forward assist is "popped" or hit a few times, and the bolt is in battery.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 10-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

It has a special purpose. Me personally haven't had to use it. BUT it would be nice to have it. To me an AR looks strange without it.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #9

Liked 4526 Times on 2253 Posts
Likes Given: 1018

I wish the forward assist worked on my cmmg drop in....

Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #10

Liked 79 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I use all my rifles for plinking and hunting, and some I've designated as to also do HD, and my AR is no exception. When I get to my hunting spots, the last thing I want is for all the game to be spooked by the strangest noise ever heard. That AR NOT having a FA and having to let the bolt slam home to make sure it's in battery. You can't believe the echo in the woods that sound makes. My AR has FA and Dust Cover, as that's what I was certain what I wanted, when I purchased my AR around 3 weeks ago. Better to have them and not need them, then need them and not have them.
Del