Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   forward assist? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/forward-assist-74053/)

TankTop 10-10-2012 02:51 AM

forward assist?

1) what is the standard configuration, with or without?

2) if given the option on an upper is it needed, who has actually needed to use it?

jjfuller1 10-10-2012 02:59 AM

1) the standard config is with, its the more affordable, cheaper models that generally lack it.

2) its my opionion that having an upper without one is silly. ive used mine as many times as i've brushed my teeth. its one of the things that you really could live without if you had to, but why? again, ive used mine tons of times and it wouldn't seem right to not have it. especially if you happen to ever have a time when you need it and its not there.

ctshooter 10-10-2012 03:01 AM

Mine has the forward assist, but have never needed it. To be honest if for some reason the bolt didn't go into battery all the way the last thing I would do is hit the assist. I'd be more inclined to find out why. Mil spec calls for assist.

TankTop 10-10-2012 03:13 AM

Thanks, considering the vis and it gives you the option. I know it's overkill but it's also simple, less to go wrong, easier barrel changes plus I think it will hold it's value well.

JonM 10-10-2012 03:18 AM

the common config is with them.

my preference is without. they are simply unneeded. they came about from the early days of the m16 when extremely dirty ammo was used and no cleaning kits issued. the military thought there was a need.

the military teaches tap rack bang type failure remedy. however if you have a squib round and you tap that new round in you get a kaboom. my thinking is it lends the impression that if a round is reluctant to chamber just force it in... my belief is that the forward assist leads to a lot of otherwise avoidable kabooms

its just hard to find a good upper reciever without that wart on the side

jjfuller1 10-10-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
the common config is with them.

my preference is without. they are simply unneeded. they came about from the early days of the m16 when extremely dirty ammo was used and no cleaning kits issued. the military thought there was a need.

the military teaches tap rack bang type failure remedy. however if you have a squib round and you tap that new round in you get a kaboom. my thinking is it lends the impression that if a round is reluctant to chamber just force it in... my belief is that the forward assist leads to a lot of otherwise avoidable kabooms

its just hard to find a good upper reciever without that wart on the side

Quite w The opposite. I use mine after almost all loads. Insert magazine send bolt home. Do a small brass check( pulling bolt to rear just enough to see brass in chamber) release handle hit forward assist to be certain bolt is all the way forward. This actually helps reduce serious injury.

USEBOTHHANDS 10-10-2012 04:40 AM

if i'm not mistaken (and i usually am :rolleyes:), the forward assist was incorporated into the M16 after the rolling bolt system wasn't closin all the way..........on a controlled feed, or a "quiet" loading.

customarily tho, the M16/M4/AR-15 is "cracked and wracked." the full force of the compressed buffer spring sends the BCG slammin home makin sure the rolling bolt is in battery.

if a "quiet" loading is required, or warranted, the charging handle is pulled back, and then eased forward..........pickin up the live round and forcin it into the breech. in order to make sure to "seat" and fully close the rolling bolt, the forward assist is "popped" or hit a few times, and the bolt is in battery.

okdonk 10-10-2012 05:49 AM

It has a special purpose. Me personally haven't had to use it. BUT it would be nice to have it. To me an AR looks strange without it. :)

Mosin 10-10-2012 01:05 PM

I wish the forward assist worked on my cmmg drop in....

Triumphman 10-10-2012 01:27 PM

I use all my rifles for plinking and hunting, and some I've designated as to also do HD, and my AR is no exception. When I get to my hunting spots, the last thing I want is for all the game to be spooked by the strangest noise ever heard. That AR NOT having a FA and having to let the bolt slam home to make sure it's in battery. You can't believe the echo in the woods that sound makes. My AR has FA and Dust Cover, as that's what I was certain what I wanted, when I purchased my AR around 3 weeks ago. Better to have them and not need them, then need them and not have them.
Del