Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Fold down iron sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What would be some good ones to get I have been looking at Troy but are there some others that are less expensive? I have the mbus2 ones now.

Last edited by tenntyrant; 01-14-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #2

Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

There's not a thing wrong with the MBUS really, in fact they're excellent. Why do you want to replace them?

Run what you brung... you can't get less expensive than that!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

They seem a little fragile and the small sight hole is very fuzzy to see through I just want some that are built to last. But I may keep them not sure yet just want some opinions on better sights.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #4

Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

They may be polymer but they aren't fragile though. They will last.

Are you used to using aperture rear sights? It takes getting used to but you grow to like it. You can use the smaller aperture for distance and accuracy, and the larger aperture for close range or dark light situations. Odds are you'll be using the RDS normally and have the sights folded down most of the time so I'd give the MBUS a little more time. If you do decide you want something else in the rear you could continue to use the front MBUS. Of course in the end it's up to you. I'll just say I'm very impressed with the rear MBUS Gen 2 I have. (Front is fixed A2.)

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #5

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

While you are looking, take this advise based on my mistake. I just switched from standard Midwest Industry rear buis to the Troy Battlesight for two reasons.

One, the elevation knob on the Midwest Industries sight got in the way of the charging handle making it awkward to grasp. A lot of these sights have knobs that overlaps the right side of the charging handle when they are installed in the proper, rearmost position. The Troys, like the Magpuls don't have the pronounced knob and therefore do not interfere with the operation of the charging handle. They just fit in between the T.

Secondly, the Troys are low profile and more likely to fit under a scope or magnifier. I think they are under .5 inches vs the MI sights at .75 inches. They are more versatile. Again, MBUS is low profile.

Lots of people use the Magpuls and I have yet to hear complaints about them breaking.