Flip up sights vs. Front post

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Flip up sights vs. Front post

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Flip up sights vs. Front post

If I "know" I only want iron or flip ups, not a red dot, scope or the like, is a front sight post a better bet. I am used to shooting open sights at 500 yards in 5.56. (USMC) from experience, it is simple for close quarters battle, I just want a home defense/plinker. Maybe just a red dot instead for my "color-deficient eyesite." ??? Btw I am well trained with a righty AR as a southpaw, but WANT a southpaw Stag 1/7 twist. I feel pickier than a woman in the clothing section, but I think I know what I want. I think...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

All I can offer is my opinion and many will say it stinks.

If you like 'irons', go with the Mil Spec Gas-block front site. If you will want to put some type of glass on later, think of folding.

My old eyes don't do well with irons. The 'co' view thing of using irons while looking threw a low power scope or red dot or the like, drives me nuts (a short trip). It is much simpler to start with flip ups. The change out can be a hassle.

Now you have my opinion. You may now giggle at it and disregard it all.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 03-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpapps View Post
All I can offer is my opinion and many will say it stinks.

If you like 'irons', go with the Mil Spec Gas-block front site. If you will want to put some type of glass on later, think of folding.

My old eyes don't do well with irons. The 'co' view thing of using irons while looking threw a low power scope or red dot or the like, drives me nuts (a short trip). It is much simpler to start with flip ups. The change out can be a hassle.

Now you have my opinion. You may now giggle at it and disregard it all.

C'mon Oldpapps, don't be so hard on yourself, you make some very good points! The only thing I'd add is that the front sight post becomes much less of an issue if you can forgo the habit of focusing on your front sight, and just focus on the target and concentrate on putting the dot on target. At this point the FSB should be out of focus and a non issue. Takes a little getting used to, but when you get it, its is insane on how much faster you can be with target acquisition and on transitions.

As for the OP's being color challenged, please correct me if I'm wrong but, you can still see the dot, just not color correct? In which case you may want to look into RDSs with different color reticles. Unfortunately most are very cheap knock offs. Another thing you may want to look into is a RDS with a big reticle, like a Eotech. An Aimpoint 2moa dot maybe hard to find for you. Consider the primary arms m4 clone. It has 4 different reticles I believe tho they are all red.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #4

Awesome advice both of you. Appreciated!