Flat-top with optics -or- iron sights? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Flat-top with optics -or- iron sights?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Chris, I have just gone through the decision making progress that you are in now. I chose the flattop option and i'm extremely glad i did. I was really unsure of what type of sights i wanted to begin with so i started out with some troy BUIS, i think it was a combo deal for the front and rear from AIM Surplus Home and it was 189.99 for the both. Then I started doing as much research as possible on different sights, and ended up shooting my cousins AR with his eotech 511(it was 375.00 shipped). It was set up for co-witness and after that experience I just had to have one. With 3 reference points its really difficult to be off target, plus you can go either way, and the BUIS really help out if your batteries die...nobody wants to be on Mr. Zombie's lunch menu

and take JD's advise, I did, and I'm extremely happy with the outcome, one badass zombie stick

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Last edited by jwhirl413; 04-14-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #12

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhirl413 View Post
and take JD's advise, I did, and I'm extremely happy with the outcome, one badass zombie stick
And your signature line tells the whole story behind this thread. If JD says, "Right" and you go left, an "I told you so" is bound to be warranted in the future.

I've read a bit about the co-witness thing. It does sound as if some front sights are designed to be aligned with the center of the optics. That way, one would only need to pop up the rear sight and you're in business if the worst-case battery scenario happens during use.

I'm still not clear on the term "1/3" as related to co-witness.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 04-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Chis, as the others have stated, get a flat-top rail. There's a whole lot of goodies you can add on and take off easily, and it is really a much better choice for any of your optic's or BUIS foundation.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
The reference to that other forum wasn't because of the discussion forums on that site, but the how-to articles. One thing I know I am good at is asking questions and being able to sniff out the good answers from the HUTB answers.

Head Up Their Butt

BTW, ACOG's look awesome but certainly aren't in my league ($1K-2K). Aimpoint has a product (about $575) that I will definitely want to save up for. It appears that a set of BUIS (about $200 for the pair) would be a necessity for a flat-top right at purchase, though.

Are these prices sounding right?
SWFA (an internet optics dealer) has a sale going on right now for an Aimpoint M2 with a quality mount, Flip up lens covers and and a flip up ARD, all for $477.00. The one in the picture of my AR is the very same one, I bought mine 2 weeks ago from them.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

CHris, the 1/3 co-witness applies when you have your back-up front sight up or are using a standard front sight assembly. The "1/3" means that the tip of the front sight post is visible about 1/3 of the way up into what you see through the glass. It "disappears" or kinda fuzzes out when you are shooting with the optic. An "absolute co-witness" is when the optic is mounted lower on the upper receiver and aligns the red dot with the tip of the front sight post. Both are OK to use, shooter preference. It is a function of the mount you put the sight in, not the optic or front sight assembly itself. The 1/3 gives a little more open space in the glass, and to me it is a bit faster. If the dot goes out, flip the rear up and your irons are aligned (after zero) and you are ready to roll. Thats why I like the fixed front sight option (again shooter preference).
As far as prices, the last M2 I bought was under 400 shipped. Do some research on EoTechs before you consider them, some guys have good luck with them while others have not. Cant beat an Aimpoint though.