Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > flashlight time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Default flashlight time

Well guys just came up on 500 to throw towards my ar15 setup and I think its time for some illumination im sure surefire will be in there but what do you guys recommend for a weapon mounted light?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #2

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It you have a pistol with a rail, I would recommend something that is interchangeable. You will find it much more practical on the handgun. (at least I do). I have a tlr2 that I use on my 45 for HD, if I wanted to use it on my ar it takes seconds to switch. The controls are strange on the carbine but it does work. It also saves me spending money on a second light.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #3

Good idea but I am against the concept of a light on a HD pistol.. unlike the AR, with a pistol I can cary a flashlight in my weak hand and confidently fire on target I also dont like the idea of pointing a firearm at my loved ones while clearing a room

Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #4

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Understood. What is the purpose of the ar light?

Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 AM   #5

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
It you have a pistol with a rail, I would recommend something that is interchangeable. You will find it much more practical on the handgun. (at least I do). I have a tlr2 that I use on my 45 for HD, if I wanted to use it on my ar it takes seconds to switch...
I've done the same with a Streamlight TLR-1s used on my Glock 23 and two ARs that both have a Battlecomp Mossie Midnight Mount. It's very quick to swap from one firearm to another but I am planning to get another TLR-1s since I'm quite pleased with its performance and the first one normally is on the G23.

The MMM is a great 12 o'clock mount for the AR too, if you have an A2 FSB.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Indoor the streamlight trl 1,2 and surefire x300 are great. Outdoor i use a fenix 550 lumen cree xml t6 with a good throw. It'll throw out beyond 100 yards.

I have a streamlight trl1s on my 45 and a fenix in my weakhand. You can never have too much light in the dark.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #7

I am interested in the x300 what are your thoughts for pros/cons

Old 12-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #8

cons: expensive.

pros: Very solid, great reputation.

The X300's beam is has a lot a throw, its good for about 40 yards. Its not as floody as the Streamlight TRL's led. I like the way it mounts a little more flush with to a picatinny rail.

I personally prefer the Streamlight TRL on my Glock 21 .45acp. The beam is more floody (wide angled) so its better for indoor use and the actuation lever is easier for me to utilize. I wear a size large or xtra large glove. Its throw isn't as good as the X300 but I'd say its good for about 35 yards ish.

For my AR I wanted more throw (distance) I use a Fenix (forget what model) with a 550 lumen Cree T6 led, and 1x 18650 rechargeable lithium ion battery. I also have a Solarforce P60 with a Cree t6 that really durable and rugged but haven't found a 1" light mount that I like yet. Acutally I'm still looking for a good mount for my lights for both the Fenis and Solarforce.

Quentin Likes This 
Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #9

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Great info as usual, AT! I considered the X300 as well but couldn't ignore that the TLR-1s was about 1/3 the cost yet output 160 lumens which was plenty for indoor use. I'm impressed with its performance and at that cost I do want another on an AR. I agree it's wise to have a more powerful handheld at the ready too but fumbling around in the dead of night it's nice to know the Glock has something decent aboard.

550 lumens, I'm in awe!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #10

Its crazy bright. About as bright as a modern car's regular low beam headlight on your firearm or hand!

There are tradeoffs tho. Battery life and heat. The medium setting is about 300umen and the low 150 (iirc rough estimates). Even at the lowest setting its plenty bright.