Flashlight mounting options, looking for opinions here.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Flashlight mounting options, looking for opinions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Flashlight mounting options, looking for opinions here.

Hey everyone,

What are your thoughts on using a remote switch for your flashlight on your rifle? Do you use one, and why or why not?

I have a remote coil on the streamlight TLR-1 on my HD shotgun but no light on the ar15 yet. I just can't make up my mind on the light, of I want to go streamlight or sure fire, what I can afford, of I want to go push-button or remote switch. This is complicated by my inexperience shooting (bought rifle, assembled, made it to range once, had surgery, waiting to be able to shoot more) and I have both the magpul vertical grip and angled grip and can't decide which feels better, or what style I want to shoot with. Since that's still up in the air, so is my hand placement.... Which makes this question hard for me to answer.

So I want to know how YOU rock and roll. Tell me how you shoot too, just help me get an idea what's out there. I have seen a ton of photos already while researching, now I want to hear the logic behind some of them.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Still experimenting, I've purchased a couple low profile 1" scope mounts for some UF 502b torches I bought. I'm considering getting a UTG qd scope mount, but I have this thing against utg...dunno if I can get past it....

Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #3

BTW run some drills and swap out the AFG and VFG a couple times. You should be able to tell pretty quickly which one you like better. Freehand slowfire isn't gonna tell you much.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
BTW run some drills and swap out the AFG and VFG a couple times. You should be able to tell pretty quickly which one you like better. Freehand slowfire isn't gonna tell you much.
Oh, I'm looking forward to that day! I cant wait to get out and shoot again. On I get the hand positioning down, which I'm looking forward to, I'll get the weapon light. I really WANT to use the AFG, I like the idea behind it and the logic makes sense, but when just standing and holding the rifle, the vertical is more comfortable to hold... Plus it offers a conveniently simple place to mount a remote switch.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use a AFG on my AK with a push button surefire.

I chose a flashlight mount that holds the light away from the mount about 1/2 inch further than a normal mount. The two mounts work together to fit my hand perfectly.

Only problem is that I am left handed so others complain about the light being on the wrong side... I remind them: "Its mine, get your own." Geesh... kids today.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21641 Times on 12276 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

check out MidwayUSA. they have a lot of different options in mountings for the AR platform. their prices are reasonable and service is great, and they have fast shipping. i have bought a few things from them for my AR and buy a lot of my reloading supplies and equipment from them.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #7

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Still experimenting, I've purchased a couple low profile 1" scope mounts for some UF 502b torches I bought. I'm considering getting a UTG qd scope mount, but I have this thing against utg...dunno if I can get past it....
UTG moved its manufacturing plant to Michigan and most of their products are being made in the USA. Their parts are being designed now to be stronger and lighter for AR/Tactical use rather than for airsoft/paintball use as they were previously.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #8

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54

UTG moved its manufacturing plant to Michigan and most of their products are being made in the USA. Their parts are being designed now to be stronger and lighter for AR/Tactical use rather than for airsoft/paintball use as they were previously.
I've got a UTG vertical foregrip on my AK, good solid quality and it's not too heavy. The threading on the storage compartment is a little rough but a couple minutes with a file smoothed it right out.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #9

Fine, I'll check them out......

Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #10

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Gear Sector makes an AWESOME light mount.

I used to use a switch but now run lights on the left side and activate them w/ my thumb.