Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Fixed Iron Sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Are you saying the MOA adjustment of an iron sight won't work due to the difference in caliber? Or are you talking about BDC optics?
An A2/A3 type rear sight has a mechanical zero point, then clicks up to marks indicating 300, 400, 500, 600 (I forget if yds or mtrs). These reference elevations are specific to 5.56, close for .223, but way off for handgun calibers. You can use them with any caliber having a similar trajectory, but dialing from a 100 yard zero to 300 yards on the sight alone will be a big miss if the trajectory is much different.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
An A2/A3 type rear sight has a mechanical zero point, then clicks up to marks indicating 300, 400, 500, 600 (I forget if yds or mtrs). These reference elevations are specific to 5.56, close for .223, but way off for handgun calibers. You can use them with any caliber having a similar trajectory, but dialing from a 100 yard zero to 300 yards on the sight alone will be a big miss if the trajectory is much different.
Understanding now. It's been 10 years since I've had a carry handle on a rifle and 7 since I've used a rear BUIS like the MaTech.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
Has anyone tried any products from Troy Industries? I like the look of their sight plus they are made of alluminum?
I use the troy DOA battle sight on my AR and love it. Ive had no problems. it is a bit more that the mbus though. BTW do not by an mbus set from ebay. there are chinese knocks of magpul gear all over the place there.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
I use the troy DOA battle sight on my AR and love it. Ive had no problems. it is a bit more that the mbus though. BTW do not by an mbus set from ebay. there are chinese knocks of magpul gear all over the place there.

IMHO many of the so called chinese knocks off's are much better in their quality then what Magpul is making.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
IMHO many of the so called chinese knocks off's are much better in their quality then what Magpul is making.

http://blogbiertjuh58.blogspot.com/2011/08/troll.html

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I guess you feel the pain of hearing the truth about the junk you use.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #17

Liked 915 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 890

rifleshooter, you can't be serious, "chinese knocks of magpul gear" better thn Magpul itself? Where do you get that?

I have a lot of Magpul and have no complaints. All their plastic is good, even their polymer DVDs...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I guess you feel the pain of hearing the truth about the junk you use.
You know, you're right, sorry. I spoke before I really thought about it. It's a little embarrassing

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 02-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #19

Quote:
rifleshooter, you can't be serious, "chinese knocks of magpul gear" better thn Magpul itself? Where do you get that?

I have a lot of Magpul and have no complaints. All their plastic is good, even their polymer DVDs...
Well we all have are own thoughts about what quality means.
I have followed Magpul for years as they had quality problems with their Mags and would not admit them till they were forced to do so. They even invented a cover to keep the Ammo. from poping out of their Mags.
Then they were going to build the greatest AR-15 in the world that sure went no where. And now Remington is finding out they bought a pig in a poke with the ACR. against the FNSCAR it's a toy and a cheap toy at best.
They make any plastic item they feel can make them money most are copies of really good products.
I have looked at their plastic sights at the firearm shows for $40 what would you expect from a Company that copies about anything?
Magpuls sales mouth Drake Clark is well aware of the Companies quality problems I sure need not point them out to him.
Now if you trust their products I say it's your call not mine, don't blame me some day when a Magpul product fails you and you get hurt.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Well we all have are own thoughts about what quality means.
I have followed Magpul for years as they had quality problems with their Mags and would not admit them till they were forced to do so. They even invented a cover to keep the Ammo. from poping out of their Mags.
Then they were going to build the greatest AR-15 in the world that sure went no where. And now Remington is finding out they bought a pig in a poke with the ACR. against the FNSCAR it's a toy and a cheap toy at best.
They make any plastic item they feel can make them money most are copies of really good products.
I have looked at their plastic sights at the firearm shows for $40 what would you expect from a Company that copies about anything?
Magpuls sales mouth Drake Clark is well aware of the Companies quality problems I sure need not point them out to him.
Now if you trust their products I say it's your call not mine, don't blame me some day when a Magpul product fails you and you get hurt.
Good Lurdddd that's something else. Que the circus music.

-John Ruskin

Quote: