First trip to the range with RRA LAR-8 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First trip to the range with RRA LAR-8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sounds like you're almost there. Like other's, I was pretty sure you're issues were mag. related. The burr on the firing pins is odd, but stuff happens. Once you get it all tuned to the way you want it, you should be good to go.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

BB, thanks for keeping us updated on this. Why is it always one more thing, though! One thing fixed then something else bites you... But I hope you're home free now!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 01-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3357 Times on 1738 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Failures to feed are almost assuradely magazine related. There is no such thing as a "Double Feed". It is a failure to extract that leaves the empty case in the gun when the next (live) round tries to load. Normall it is a defective extractor or extractor spring.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #24

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I hate to disagree with you, but there very much is such a thing as double feed, the culprit is usually mag lips that don't control the rounds well enough and allow two to jump out while the bolt is moving forward.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #25
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3439 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 1734

BB,

The guys at the range should know that anytime a round has been in the chamber of an AR Style rifle the primer will always have a small depression in the center. The firing pin by inertia after the bolt is slamming shut will put a small ding as it is referred to in the primer. If you want to check this out take a brand new round put it in the magazine, then hit the bolt catch and let the Bolt Carrier go forward. Then pull out the round and take a look at it!
I agree with the others! I believe you have experienced a defective magazine problem no doubt. That is the number one cause of the AR Rifle Systems failures overall is the magazine 90% of the time. Also as I stated earlier keep that Bolt Carrier and Bolt lubed well so it looks wet. Also the ammo could have very well been the problem when you advised of the "Click" If the round was correctly in the chamber after the Click it is normally due to a light load and or light load accompanied by improper lube sometimes, but mostly ammunition. Of course with some light loads after the rifle is good and broken in it may not be as tempremental.

Hope she is working well for you! If not you let me know we can take care of the issue. 03

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #26

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've seen marks on the primer that I wouldn't quite call a ding. Same thing?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #27

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I went to the range again after the firing pin filing and shot 40 more rounds. I had a couple of issues of the bolt failing to strip a round from the magazine. It seems like the magazine would become unseated after a few rounds. I had one round that did not fire. It does seem like the issues are improving but I am not quite there yet.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I probably missed it but is there a reason the rifle wasn't sent back to the manufacturer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #29

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I read through this thread rather quickly because in a bit I'm going to be headed out to the range today with my new DPMS AP4 Carbine I picked up last week. I saw where a poster recommended Mag-Pul P-Mags.

When I bought my .308 DPMS the dealer I purchased it from gave me a new Mag-Pul P-Mag and told me not to even bother with the DPMS magazines. He said they have had such good luck with P-Mags in the .308 AR's they give every customer one with every rifle.

It saves them complaints, along with customers bringing new rifles in because of misfeeds and jams. I'll let you know what I find out. If the Mag-Pul P-Mags run as advertised, I'm going to get several more. I've heard a lot of issues from .308 AR shooters regarding magazines, so because of that I'll stick with what works. I'll try the DPMS magazines, and compare their performance to the P-Mags.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #30

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 9

BillT I would appreciate the report on the Magpul mags. If they do in fact work I will get some and try them.