First trip to the range with RRA LAR-8 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

First trip to the range with RRA LAR-8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've never seen a feeding problem in my Armalite AR-10. And certainly never anything like that but they use specific mags. One thing, once you iron the bugs out with your RR (I love their rifles BTW), try some Hornady 110gr TAP rounds. My AR-10 loves those lightweight little suckers and shoots easily MOA with a red dot. Crazy accurate is not an understatement for those rounds for some reason. A 308 AR is just right.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #12

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I sent an email to Rock River Arms and got a reply today. A tech looked at the last picture and told me that the wear marks are from the magazine and not the bullets. At any rate they wanted me to send it in to them and issued a RMA # and a ups call tag for tomorrow. Thanks for the input Wilder, I will try the magpul mags when I get the weapon back.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3569 Times on 1719 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

BB,

Definitely having contact in the Mag area. They will definitely take care of it for you as I stated since they have great customer service. They will also re-test fire it on the range before they send it back to you. But as I said, when you get her back do not forget to keep her lubed well. You will enjoy that rifle. Mine is a 1 MOA Rifle at 100 yards even with the 16" barrel. Also with them taking Inch or Metric FN FAL and LAR Mags if you find some good new mags at a gun show try to by the Inch over the Metric if possible. And if you buy any Metric Mags for it be sure they are Mil-Spec. You can tell by the designation on the wrapper. The magazines are not expensive. That is why RRA used that platform so that the magazines were not proprietary and could purchased from other sources rather than just them.
Let us know how she does when you get it back!

Old 12-06-2011, 03:14 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Hope they work out your issues, rock river makes great guns. They are really good on customer service and generally do what they can to make sure their customers are happy. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #15

I sent an email to RRA and they responded. I talked with a tech about the picture of the feed ramp. He says that is not from bullets but from where the magazine contacts the chamber. At any rate they said they wanted to take a look at it. Gave me an RA# and issued a call tag. UPS picked it up today and it is on the way back to them. Will post the results when I hear from them. Their service seems very good so far.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:33 AM   #16

I just got an email from Rock River Arms that my LAR 8 is on it's way back to me. I hope they have some documentation on what they did. As soon as I get it back I will take it back to the range and report. Pretty fast turnaround considering the holidays.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #17

I got my Lar8 back on Friday and managed to get it out to the range yesterday. Sadly I am still experiencing jams. Rock River tech sent me an email that they polished the feed ramp and reamed the chamber. Following is the range report:
American Eagle 308 winchester 150 grain full metal jacket.
1st mag 8 shots 1 fail to feed jam.
2nd mag 8 shots 2 fail to feed jam.
3rd mag 4 shots 1 fail to feed jam.
4th mag 8 shots 3 fail to feed jam.
5th mag 7 shots 1 fail to feed jam.
6th mag 5 shots 1 fail to feed jam.

Remington Core Lokt 308 150 grain PSP
1st mag 8 shots no jams.
2nd mag 8 shots 2 fail to feed jam.
3rd mag 20 shots no jams.

Hornady 308 winchester 165 grain SST
1st mag 20 shots 2 double feeds.

I have ordered a polymer mag from Rock River. I got an email from Rock River this morning and they said they are sending me a polymer mag as well. I am quite disappointed so far but Rock River seems to be trying to take care of the problem. I hope the new mag solves the issue. The Core Lokt seems to be working better than the rest.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1187 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 1226

BB, I hope RRA is able to solve this problem, it's a shame to have this much trouble. Fingers crossed that the new mags correct this.

I wonder how far RRA will go to fix this. It seems they should test it out with with different uppers and lowers on their end, and get it to run 100 rounds trouble free before returning it.

Thank you for keeping us updated and let's hope you have good news with the new mags!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 01-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3569 Times on 1719 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

BB

First question did they have you send the magazine you had back to the Armory with the rifle. Also how many magazines do you have. Hopefully the new one will solve the problem. I am sure they test fired it before they returned it since they do range test all new rifles before they go out to the dealers as well as any that happen to come back in for service. But when you get it back if you are still having problems PM me and I will get it taken care of. The president and vice-president of the company are good friends of mine.They do have great customer service and warranty and very seldom have problems with their rifles due to the live fire testing.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #20

I got some new magazines from Rock River Arms, one of them was free. I took it to the range and fired it up. There were no more jambs so the magazines worked great. I had another issue come up however. Two or three shots and and then a click. Extracted the round and the primer had a tiny dent in it. This happened about every third or fourth shot. A couple of range guys were there and they completely stripped the weapon. It was noticed that there was a burr on the firing pin. I took it to the store where I bought it and they stripped it again. Enclosed is a pic of the firing pin with the burr partially filed off. We finished filing it and I will test the weapon again this weekend.
firing-pin-closup.jpg