Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > first time build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default first time build

Have three lowers, one for each of my daughters. Will be putting together as time and money allows. I have two lpks from dpms. What does everyone think of these. Did not think they need two stage rock river trigs yet. Can't wait to get started with this. Going to get some tools together and start soon. Will be posting pics also. Thanks for all the great info guys.+

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2010, 02:47 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Sweet. Another black rifle project. Please post pictures and a write up as you go along.

There is nothing at all wrong with DPMS kits.

They make great kits and there is nothing wrong with the way they go together and fit in any standard receiver.

I don't think you will have any problems at all.

JD

Old 01-08-2010, 04:41 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jce97 View Post
Have three lowers, one for each of my daughters. Will be putting together as time and money allows. I have two lpks from dpms. What does everyone think of these. Did not think they need two stage rock river trigs yet. Can't wait to get started with this. Going to get some tools together and start soon. Will be posting pics also. Thanks for all the great info guys.+
I usually end up using DPMS kits, because I normally order a few at a time when Midway USA or whoever has them on sale. I know there are a few forums out there with certain members who will jump at every opportunity to bash DPMS, but I've yet to experience any of the problems that they swear are common with DPMS. Who knows, maybe just luck of the draw, or blind luck on my part. But I've used over 30 of their LPK's without an issue. I agree with you on the 2 stage triggers for now. Let them get used to proper firearm safety procedures, handling, loading, care, and shooting the guns first. You'll be able to tell when they are ready to upgrade. And KUDOS to you, for getting them involved. That's really cool.

Slo

Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #4

Good for you on getting those builds going.

I have used probably a dozen DPMS LPK's and all seem to be fine. Two of my carbines have tens of thousands of rounds through them with only one issue: One broke a firing pin retaining pin after about five thousand rounds so I replaced it with the old style flat head solid fp retaining pins. Flawless ever since.

Good luck and have fun building them.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-