Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First Time AR Noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First Time AR Noob

Well i currently own a pistol, and im looking to get an AR, i have a parts list for a decent price, and i just want to know how the quality of this AR is gonna be. Im young and dont have a steady income so i can pay more than 800 on this. Here is my parts list ~

Lower Receiver:
Plumcrazy C15 Complete Polymer Lower Reciever [PCMFG-C15-1] - $119.00 : Infinite Arms Inc.

Upper Receiver:
Spikes Tactical 16" M4 5.56/.223 Upper Receiver

Rear Sight:
MBUS® - Magpul® Back-Up Sights - MBUS® - Magpul® Back-Up Sight – Rear GEN 1

And then a couple of magpul PMags

Also i want to know if duracoat is a good option, i have spraypainted on plastics before and want to know what duracoating is like in comparison. Does it need a clear coat on top, if i mess up how hard will it be to fix, does it get sticky in the heat. . .

Thanks in advance, i realize that i am asking a lot, but i want to be 100% before i buy this

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #2

I can't tell you what will be better for you because im not you lol but most companies from what I've seen make decent parts as long as they are taken care of and you don't exceed the round type that it suggest. People will go and use reloads that are way more than what their weapon can handle and then their weapons break or blow up in their face lol. From what I have been hearing, duracoat is the way to go. They say that once it cures onto the weapon that extreme heat is not an issue with duracoat. I wanna say they have a bake on finish as well but im not positive. Duracoat has a website, sorry I don't have it on hand, but they have a wealth of information on how their products work and it should make your decision easier. I used krylon paint and clear coat on my AK-47 with painters tape lmao! It was just a trial thing lol. But it didn't mess up from the diggers of competition shooting. It still looks the same so its gonna be up to you.

forumrunner_20110817_055753.jpg  

Old 08-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Skip the duracoat and use the money for the actual rifle. If you really want to paint it use Krylon from Walmart. Its cheap, easy, and will give you that nice worn look. Make sure to use flat colors. Shiny camo kinda ruins it.

Take a look at Spikes Tactical 16" Mid-Length 5.56/.223 Upper Receiver Its a midlength which will be smoother shooting and allow for a longer sight radius.

I'd also look into a different lower receiver. A forged lower will be much more durable.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #4

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 946

Good advice from mjkeat. I'd skip the Duracoat and put the money toward a better lower than Plumcrazy. You can paint it later, don't forget that an AR or almost any firearm is an ongoing expense. Kinda like your DSL or cell phone bill.

I also like a midlength upper and Spikes or PSA would be pretty reasonable. Your rear sight is a good choice but there is a Gen 2 now that sits a little lower I believe.

Think about building your lower receiver and I bet you can still come in around $800.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #5

What lower would you suggest, and im a complete noob to building firearms, and i dont have many tools, just basic screwdrivers, hammers . . .etc. And what is the difference between the Spikes tac. that i orignally wanted and the one that mike posted?

Old 08-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #6

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Do NOT get a composite lower!

Find a forged or billet unit.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #7

Okay can somebody link me to a lower that would still be in my price range? Also when you guys say to "build" a lower, does that mean, that i would buy a lower shell, and then put all the parts into the lower?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1161 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetics View Post
Okay can somebody link me to a lower that would still be in my price range? Also when you guys say to "build" a lower, does that mean, that i would buy a lower shell, and then put all the parts into the lower?

Yes, buy a stripped lower and a lower parts kit, then assemble the parts.

Check out Palmetto State Armory or AIM Surplus. You can get lowers from these guys for between $60 & $80 plus shipping and FFL transfer fee. FFL fees vary, but $25 to $50 is the general range.

Visit a local gunshop and ask if they have any stripped lowers, they may be competitive. Its worth it to me to pay an extra few bucks to help the hometown folks.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #9

Okay so here is my revised parts list, dont judge me for my lower, im a massive zombie fan, and it is just the perfect thing for me Anyways here it is, tell me what your think.

Stripped Lower: $99.99
Lower (Multi) Forged Zombie - Live/Dead Markings [STLS011] - $99.00 : Spikes Tactical

LPK: $69.95
Lower Kit - Spike's Standard Parts Kit [SLPK101] - $69.95 : Spikes Tactical

Buffer Tube Kit: $61.95
Lower Kit - Spike's Carbine Buffer Assembly Kit [SLA500R-K] - $61.95 : Spikes Tactical

Upper Reciever: $399.95
R Guns Complete M4 5.56/.223 Upper Half

Stock: $57.95
MOE® - Magpul® Original Equipment - MOE® Carbine Stock – Mil-Spec Model

I dont know anything about that upper, and if it is good for the price, im a little worried because it is cheaper than all of the other uppers, so i want to know what you know about it

Last edited by Kinetics; 08-17-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:36 AM   #10

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 946

I would learn A LOT about any upper I was going to buy! Read through some of the build threads here for more info. MJ pointed out midlength vs. carbine length gas, you really need to learn about that and barrel profile and twist rate.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.