First shots with an AR 15
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

First shots with an AR 15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 11:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default First shots with an AR 15

Wow...

Buying one soon. I freaking fell in love with the rental. So much fun at the range today. I never realized that AR 15s shoot so much gas back at your face (not a visible cloud but just the smell). It was so awesome....

SO AWESOME

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4424 Times on 2987 Posts
Likes Given: 2210

Chances are your rifle will be cleaned better than the rental, and smell less.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #3

Liked 717 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Careful it's addictive.

Built my first one in Dec. 2012, collecting parts for 3 and 4 now.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر

Old 03-09-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3588 Times on 1728 Posts
Likes Given: 1783

Molon,
You lost me with your explanation of gas blowing back in your Face! If was a 9mm Blowback System I might understand it. But with the standard AR-15 in 223/5.56 cal and being a Gas Impingement System it should not be blowing any gas back in your face. If it was an indoor range you might have been feeling the concussion of the pressure and sound waves inside a closed area. But Gas??????? But glad you had a great time shooting it. They are fun to shoot, accurate and a fine weapon. Give us some more details.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-10-2014, 12:29 AM   #5

Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Molon,
You lost me with your explanation of gas blowing back in your Face! If was a 9mm Blowback System I might understand it. But with the standard AR-15 in 223/5.56 cal and being a Gas Impingement System it should not be blowing any gas back in your face. If it was an indoor range you might have been feeling the concussion of the pressure and sound waves inside a closed area. But Gas??????? But glad you had a great time shooting it. They are fun to shoot, accurate and a fine weapon. Give us some more details.

As I said, there was no visible gas blowing back, just the fumes, which was more overpowering than I expected. I have been shooting my whole life and of course know there is that certain smell in an indoor range, but this was different. It was in no way a turn off for me, I had a blast!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 03-10-2014, 12:31 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It is possible that the rental had been hosed down with CLP and/or shot a lot, instead of real cleaning. Gunk, oil mist, or dirt from the ammo would be ejected with the shellcase.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #7

Liked 717 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

It was my endear standing that a small amount of gas comes out of the charging handle area. I thought that was the reason for the 'gas buster' charging handle.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر

Old 03-10-2014, 01:17 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
It was my endear standing that a small amount of gas comes out of the charging handle area. I thought that was the reason for the 'gas buster' charging handle.
The gas buster is for shooting with a suppressor which creates a higher back pressure than a standard AR is designed for. The results are mixed at best. It is not needed in a normally functioning AR.

Last edited by Mercator; 03-10-2014 at 01:24 AM.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1296 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Kinda like the smell of Napalm in the mornings!!

Old 03-10-2014, 03:39 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6792 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Gasses used to operate the action are vented out the holes in the side of the bolt carrier as the bcg cycles rearward. You can smell the hot gasses.

Shooting an ar15 is like shooting no other firearm, distinctive recoil sounds, the feel is different from the recoil impulse, and the smell.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent