Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First Range Report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default First Range Report

Okay I broke the rule. I don't have pics. That wasn't the goal of this outing.

Upper is DS Arms, 16inch 1/9 twist barrel carbine gas system, semi auto bolt carrier, standard buffer.

Lower

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #2

Lower is Rock River Arms stuffed with Double Star Armory Milspec lpk.

Only had one hour to shoot, sights were irons, standard post sight on barrel and utg(pos) rear sight.

Ammo was PMC bronze FMJ 55grain BT and Tula 55 grain FMJ.

The rear sight sits so high up, it was shooting 12" high at 25 yards. Guys at the range were awesome. Found some tools and we adjusted te front sight. Made it dead on for elevation. The rear UTG (pos) sight hardly would move the side to side. Finally managed to get it pretty close to dead on. Maybe 1/8/ off at 25 yards.

Only was able to fire 180 rounds total. Recoil was manageable, you could feel when the bolt locked back after the mag became empty. That was nice. No failures or hiccups of any sort.

I used 1 30 round Pmag, and 1 30 round Troy Battlemag. Both preformed well, from 1 loaded round to 30.

When I settled down I managed to shoot nice tight groups. I could cover most with a quarter. I should have taken pictures. I apologize I was just ramped up. I think with so more rounds down range and a nice set of Nikon optics it will be a damn fine rifle.

Overall I'm excited and happy. I can't wait to put some glass on it and try at the 100 yard range when I get my membership. Also looking forward to another build.

Oh dern....

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1097 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Lower is Rock River Arms stuffed with Double Star Armory Milspec lpk.

Only had one hour to shoot, sights were irons, standard post sight on barrel and utg(pos) rear sight.

Ammo was PMC bronze FMJ 55grain BT and Tula 55 grain FMJ.

The rear sight sits so high up, it was shooting 12" high at 25 yards. Guys at the range were awesome. Found some tools and we adjusted te front sight. Made it dead on for elevation. The rear UTG (pos) sight hardly would move the side to side. Finally managed to get it pretty close to dead on. Maybe 1/8/ off at 25 yards.

Only was able to fire 180 rounds total. Recoil was manageable, you could feel when the bolt locked back after the mag became empty. That was nice. No failures or hiccups of any sort.

I used 1 30 round Pmag, and 1 30 round Troy Battlemag. Both preformed well, from 1 loaded round to 30.

When I settled down I managed to shoot nice tight groups. I could cover most with a quarter. I should have taken pictures. I apologize I was just ramped up. I think with so more rounds down range and a nice set of Nikon optics it will be a damn fine rifle.

Overall I'm excited and happy. I can't wait to put some glass on it and try at the 100 yard range when I get my membership. Also looking forward to another build.
what no pics? your fired!!

ya know you can shoot it 100 yards without optics. lol

i bet you had fun.. i remember the smile my wife had the first time she shot an AR. lol.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1

what no pics? your fired!!

ya know you can shoot it 100 yards without optics. lol

i bet you had fun.. i remember the smile my wife had the first time she shot an AR. lol.
I know I know. I'm a bad boy. I was just excited. My second time with an AR. And it's mine this time lol.

Next time will be pics. Irons at 100.... Don't think I see that well.

Oh dern....

Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1097 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
I know I know. I'm a bad boy. I was just excited. My second time with an AR. And it's mine this time lol.

Next time will be pics. Irons at 100.... Don't think I see that well.
its easy.. get a silhoute target.. you'll find your front sight post fits the shape perfectly. just breathe and squeeze baby!
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #6

Ill give it a try when I get my range membership.

Oh dern....