First purchase of AR-15! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First purchase of AR-15!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goretro77 View Post
On my Colt LE6920 (purchased years ago) with FSB I use a Troy rear backup iron sight. Once that was zeroed in @ 100 yards I installed a Eotech 557 with 3x magnifier flip to side. Got it as a package deal so everything came together. Cry once but buy once.

On the side:
I noticed a friends sightmark "slide to side mount" moves and wobbles when flipped to the side, there is no positive retention when flipped to the side. Its the weight of the magnifier holding it to the side, so I would not suggest the sightmarks. Plus - the way it locks in the upward postition is very rough - it uses 2 pointed screws to lock and hold the slide assembly holding the magnifier in the upwards position. It feels rough and it will wear out pretty quick.

I also highly suggest ACOG and Aimpoints, you cannot go wrong.
Now is not the time to go cheap when so much of your accuacy depends on the equipment.
that is a sweet looking rifle! so if I get these expensive optics and rarely use them will they go bad from not being used?

Old 05-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSmitty1 View Post
With the proper mount you can co-witnness your ironsights with a red dot.
Yes, and that's the best way to go IMO. It's almost like a constant verification that your shot is going where you want it to. I LOVE The Red-Dot sights, but I make damn sure I can shoot w/ irons just as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptrash View Post
I've got a aimpoint comp ml3 on mine and its excellent, zero complaints. If you want to shoot farther than you can with a aimpoint, you should be lookin for a larger caliber rifle.
I've know guys to shoot ARs out quite a bit further than a 1x will allow. Don't forget that one of the major uses for the .223 is varminting, which requires shooting well beyond 300yds.

What's the deal w/ everyone wanting Smith and Wesson M&Ps lately??? There are more economical options available, but to each their own.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

What's the deal w/ everyone wanting Smith and Wesson M&Ps lately??? There are more economical options available, but to each their own.[/QUOTE]

Well I found it at a great price its on sale for $899 and on smith and wesson site its $1069.00. And I already own one smith already and its my favorite gun in my collection. And I know Smith and Wesson have been around for a while and make quality stuff. So that is my reason. Not knocking any other brand for sure. I know others make very good stuff! By the way if I put holographic sites on the AR will it ever go bad just sitting around? I dont want to buy something like that and have it go to waste waiting on world war 3. lol

Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

The S&W is a great rifle! That was the first one I purchased. I was also torn on iron vs flips and on a budget. I went with flips and a cheap NC Star 1-4 power with a quick detatch base. I does very very well holding zero when coming off and on repeatedly. Most people bash the cheap NC Star optics and yes there are far better ones out there, but for something cheap to put on and be able to get your rifle out on the range and still be able to afford some ammo than it will work just fine. I have had mine on it for a couple years now and it gets tossed around alot in the winter when Coyote hunting and still has been trouble free and holding zero.

And as Quintin stated make sure you get the correct flip sight for the front, there are different ones for same plane and offset like gas block mounted. I went round and round with the guy where i bought it trying to get the correct one.

The first pic is with the flips and the second is the NC Star

Old 05-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #25

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Did the NC star come with mounts? I am also looking at an NC Star but I want to make my rifle long range but also be able to use up close without removing a bunch of stuff! will eotech magnifier with holo do that or scope or what? I am so confused! Basically what I want is something I can play with at the range but also use for home defense! SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE! LOL

Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

yes it has a quick detach base, its off or on in 5 seconds.

There are many of them to choose from, this is just the one I purchased. There are many options out there, you just need to do a little research and figure out whats best for you and your application. You might want to cruise through the AR picture thread if you havent and get some ideas.

It really depends on your budget and taste, and of coarse what you plan on doing with it.

Welcome to NcSTAR

Old 06-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I went with the get out of dodge package from valhalla armory with nc star accessorys in the package 349 dollar package with a online credit of 34.99 so I got alot for the money! here is a pick of my AR so far!

0623110800.jpg  

Old 06-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by synical View Post
that is a sweet looking rifle! so if I get these expensive optics and rarely use them will they go bad from not being used?
The only thing I can see going bad are the batteries for the Aimpoint and EoTechs. The ACOG does not use any.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
The only thing I can see going bad are the batteries for the Aimpoint and EoTechs. The ACOG does not use any.
An Aimpoint can be left on for around 5 years straight before a battery change is needed.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:26 AM   #30

Quote:
I want a ACOG too since I won't need back up sight for my in progress AR. Anyone knows a affordable acog style scope?