First purchase of AR-15! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First purchase of AR-15!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

or here is another thought! I put flip up front and rear sites on the AR and then put a long range scope on it with a flip to side mount and then I could have the best of both worlds right without busting the bank! or will that work?

Old 05-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Did you already purchase the S&W?

I wouldn't put a flip to side mount on a magnified scope. I don't think they make one anyway. If you want to be able to remove the scope purchase a quick disconnect mount.

If you're just going to have the one AR Id purchase an Aimpoint H1/T1 and mount it on a 45deg mount w/ a scope ( 3-9x or 1-4x) as your main optic. You can mount the scope w/ plain old rings.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #13

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

YHM makes a gas block with an integral flip-up front sight. Then you can buy a flip-up BUIS for the rear. I don't see why you would want just a rail on the gas block top.

I am just now getting around to buying a scope for my AR, but I only had a $900 budget. If your budget is higher, I would definitely consider a scope (good mounts cost some $$$, too) right from the start.

But, of course, you would need to have a defined use before you decided on Red dot vs. 1-4x scope vs. 3-9x scope.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 05-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

well I actually found some flip to side mounts on ebay that have a 30mm ring that would work on a sniper scope I am looking at. I just wanna make something with med-long range but also I can use it for home defense thats why I am thinking about the flip to side mount! That way with a push of a button I have you in my sights! lol Oh and no I have not purchased the AR yet I am probably getting it this weekend!

Old 05-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #15

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

My first AR I got a railed gas block so I could remove the front sight or go to a flip up. As time went on I discovered a 3x and higher scope using tall mounts isn't bothered by the fixed FSB so I could have gone with it in the first place. And it's nice to cowitness with an RDS so not much disadvantage to a fixed FSB unless you're going with a long rail handguard.

If you do get the M&P-15OR I think its gas block rail must use a rail height sight while my ArmaLite gas block has a lower rail which needs a taller sight. Just mentioning because it's easy to get the wrong height.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:02 AM   #16

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Eotech XPS with a 3x magnifier-$500

Rifles : Eotech XPS 2.0 with flip to the side 3X magnifier

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:36 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have my reservations about mounting an optic w/ a flip to the side mount. It doesnt seem sturdy enough. I feel like it would move around w/ recoil. Espeacially a mount off of ebay.

Another note: I hate to be this guy but just wanted to make sure you were aware of all your options. I did a little price shopping on the S&W OR. Although a good AR , IMO there are better options in the price range.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 AM   #18

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
My first AR I got a railed gas block so I could remove the front sight or go to a flip up. As time went on I discovered a 3x and higher scope using tall mounts isn't bothered by the fixed FSB so I could have gone with it in the first place.
I have the fixed front sight and used an ACOG style 4x on the front. You
could just barely tell that there is a front sight on it by a slightly darker /
shadow area on the bottom portion. Not a big deal and most people don't
even notice it. (I went with a mid-length gas system)

I'm a fan of the triangle on the front but that could just be me. Was good
enough for the military for years, tells me it's not a bad system.

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 05-31-2011, 05:44 AM   #19

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
...I'm a fan of the triangle on the front but that could just be me. Was good
enough for the military for years, tells me it's not a bad system.
I'm also a fan and went with the standard FSB on my recent build. Glad I did, too.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

On my Colt LE6920 (purchased years ago) with FSB I use a Troy rear backup iron sight. Once that was zeroed in @ 100 yards I installed a Eotech 557 with 3x magnifier flip to side. Got it as a package deal so everything came together. Cry once but buy once.

On the side:
I noticed a friends sightmark "slide to side mount" moves and wobbles when flipped to the side, there is no positive retention when flipped to the side. Its the weight of the magnifier holding it to the side, so I would not suggest the sightmarks. Plus - the way it locks in the upward postition is very rough - it uses 2 pointed screws to lock and hold the slide assembly holding the magnifier in the upwards position. It feels rough and it will wear out pretty quick.

I also highly suggest ACOG and Aimpoints, you cannot go wrong.
Now is not the time to go cheap when so much of your accuacy depends on the equipment.