First purchase of AR-15!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First purchase of AR-15!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default First purchase of AR-15!

Hey everyone I am looking into gettting a Smith and Wesson AR-15 and wanting to know what are some good optic mods to go with. This is my first AR-15 and am not sure on what kind of mods are good for all situations. I am not sure if I want to go with a fixed scope or maybe a red dot with a magnifier. What is the best thing for all situations? Thanks for your comments. This is a pic of the rifle I am thinking about!
811003_01_lg.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 AM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What's the price range you have to spend?

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:22 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I dont really have a price range I want the best or close to it! I dont really wanna buy a bunch of cheap junk and then not be happy. But the weapon will be used for home defense and a little target practice its not something I am not going to do alot with just fun and hobby mostly but I do wanna be able to cover all situations and have fun with it when I want to use it.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5687 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

my opinion a good set of iron sights they will work fine up to 300yds. nikon makes decent plinking scopes as does leupold. 556/223 starts seriously losing its oomph past 300yds

i prefer shooting with open sights takes more skill to get tight groups than a scope. with your flat top you can easily do both. lots of peeps like red dotstyle scopes for AR15.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-30-2011, 02:14 AM   #5

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

For red dots I'd say: Acog about $800 on up
Aimpoint about $500 on up
Eotech about $420 on up plus the magnifier

Others can give their ideas on scopes. I have a 3-9x42 tactical mil dot on my S&W now for seeing distances better, that replaced an Eotech.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:18 AM   #6

I've got a aimpoint comp ml3 on mine and its excellent, zero complaints. If you want to shoot farther than you can with a aimpoint, you should be lookin for a larger caliber rifle.

Last edited by jeeptrash; 05-30-2011 at 02:21 AM.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:41 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

this caliber is fine for what I am going to be doing with it. I dont hunt or anything I just love guns. I want a project I can add alot of mods too and the AR is great for that. I have thought alot about eotech red dot with magnifier with flip to right so I can put flip up iron sights on the gun! However If I decide to just get a decent scope does someone make a flip to right mount for a scope in case I want to use the iron sights? oh and is it legal to put a bayonet on the rifle?

Old 05-30-2011, 04:15 AM   #8

With the proper mount you can co-witnness your ironsights with a red dot.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:59 AM   #9

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

In Alabama it's legal to mount a bayonet but that OR pictured doesn't have a bayonet mount. Personally I'd go for a fixed front sight plus it will have the mount. Hope you enjoy your new S&W!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:58 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

well with the flat top I am going with flip up front and rear sites for sure! and probably and eotech 512 but I am looking at some of the mako magnifiers cause I just dont wanna spend 800 bucks on a magnifier i wont use much. does any body besides eotech make the flip to the right mount for a mako? I figure that way I have up close and mid range so i get the best of both worlds! And thanks for the info guys it helps.