Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   First purchase of AR-15! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-purchase-ar-15-a-43189/)

synical 05-30-2011 01:10 AM

First purchase of AR-15!

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone I am looking into gettting a Smith and Wesson AR-15 and wanting to know what are some good optic mods to go with. This is my first AR-15 and am not sure on what kind of mods are good for all situations. I am not sure if I want to go with a fixed scope or maybe a red dot with a magnifier. What is the best thing for all situations? Thanks for your comments. This is a pic of the rifle I am thinking about!

Car54 05-30-2011 01:17 AM

What's the price range you have to spend?

synical 05-30-2011 01:22 AM

I dont really have a price range I want the best or close to it! I dont really wanna buy a bunch of cheap junk and then not be happy. But the weapon will be used for home defense and a little target practice its not something I am not going to do alot with just fun and hobby mostly but I do wanna be able to cover all situations and have fun with it when I want to use it. :D

JonM 05-30-2011 02:14 AM

my opinion a good set of iron sights they will work fine up to 300yds. nikon makes decent plinking scopes as does leupold. 556/223 starts seriously losing its oomph past 300yds

i prefer shooting with open sights takes more skill to get tight groups than a scope. with your flat top you can easily do both. lots of peeps like red dotstyle scopes for AR15.

Car54 05-30-2011 02:14 AM

For red dots I'd say: Acog about $800 on up
Aimpoint about $500 on up
Eotech about $420 on up plus the magnifier

Others can give their ideas on scopes. I have a 3-9x42 tactical mil dot on my S&W now for seeing distances better, that replaced an Eotech.

jeeptrash 05-30-2011 02:18 AM

I've got a aimpoint comp ml3 on mine and its excellent, zero complaints. If you want to shoot farther than you can with a aimpoint, you should be lookin for a larger caliber rifle.

synical 05-30-2011 03:41 AM

this caliber is fine for what I am going to be doing with it. I dont hunt or anything I just love guns. I want a project I can add alot of mods too and the AR is great for that. I have thought alot about eotech red dot with magnifier with flip to right so I can put flip up iron sights on the gun! However If I decide to just get a decent scope does someone make a flip to right mount for a scope in case I want to use the iron sights? oh and is it legal to put a bayonet on the rifle?

PSmitty1 05-30-2011 04:15 AM

With the proper mount you can co-witnness your ironsights with a red dot.

Quentin 05-30-2011 04:59 AM

In Alabama it's legal to mount a bayonet but that OR pictured doesn't have a bayonet mount. Personally I'd go for a fixed front sight plus it will have the mount. Hope you enjoy your new S&W!

synical 05-30-2011 05:58 AM

well with the flat top I am going with flip up front and rear sites for sure! and probably and eotech 512 but I am looking at some of the mako magnifiers cause I just dont wanna spend 800 bucks on a magnifier i wont use much. does any body besides eotech make the flip to the right mount for a mako? I figure that way I have up close and mid range so i get the best of both worlds! And thanks for the info guys it helps.