First New AR Build - What Stripped Lower is Best? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First New AR Build - What Stripped Lower is Best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 01:34 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Great story, Snakedriver, thanks for that! Say did you ever bump into another Huey guy by the name of Snake Sh*t?
Nope, can't say I did. Everyone had some kind of funny or odd handle, but I never ran into one with that one.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:21 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6669 Times on 3549 Posts
Likes Given: 502

ive got a chrome rra bcg its super easy to clean and staked and doesnt break the bank. highly recomend em. even after shooting a ton of rounds it just takes a quick wipe even burnt carbon comes off easy.

are those cobras as fun to fly as it looks??
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-12-2011, 02:32 AM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
ive got a chrome rra bcg its super easy to clean and staked and doesnt break the bank. highly recomend em. even after shooting a ton of rounds it just takes a quick wipe even burnt carbon comes off easy.

are those cobras as fun to fly as it looks??
Yep, it was the corvette of helicopters. Smooth as silk and air conditioned to-boot. Max. speed was 190 knots

The 7.62 minigun could rattle them off at 4,000 rpm, the 40mm grenade launcher could throw'em out a 450 rpm and the wing hardpoints had 76-2.75" rockets loaded in them. Lot's of fun for a young man to blow stuff up with.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:36 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6669 Times on 3549 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Yep, it was the corvette of helicopters. Smooth as silk and air conditioned to-boot. Max. speed was 190 knots

The 7.62 minigun could rattle them off at 4,000 rpm, the 40mm grenade launcher could throw'em out a 450 rpm and the wing hardpoints had 76-2.75" rockets loaded in them. Lot's of fun for a young man to blow stuff up with.
sorry to hijack but that was the chopper i sooooo lusted to fly in high school but my eye sight wasnt good enough to qualify went MP instead
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

While we're hijacking. I never had as much fun as using my PEQ2 to laze hillsides in country so some crazy ass Marine Super Cobra pilots could blow them the F'up. They also loved to buzz my head while manning the MK19. I have a lot of respect for Marine pilots. They can fly those things.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Update

So today I got around to my local gun store to see what they could do for me on a stripped AR lower. Surprisingly in a town like this with so much wealth, there's only a couple of gun stores available. Anyway, the only AR-15 lower he could offer me that had a fairly quick delivery and decent price is one by Stag Arms. Does anybody have an opinion on that brand? He said it was made by the same people that make the S & W.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1147 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1165

Stag will be fine. Their lowers are made by CMT which used to make S&W's lowers a few years ago but not today. Good lower and I also like Stag's LPK, have bought three and very good parts, nice trigger.

Of course you can order lowers online and pay the FFL transfer fee, and maybe do better, just depends on the online price, shipping and FFL vs. the local dealer's price for the Stag.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 07-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Stag will be fine. Their lowers are made by CMT which used to make S&W's lowers a few years ago but not today. Good lower and I also like Stag's LPK, have bought three and very good parts, nice trigger.

Of course you can order lowers online and pay the FFL transfer fee, and maybe do better, just depends on the online price, shipping and FFL vs. the local dealer's price for the Stag.
Thanks Quentin, he quoted me $119.50 OTD which seems to be within the range of what I'd pay if I bought a similar one online + shipping & FFL transfer fee. I think I'll get the Stag LPK online though, they seem popular.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #29

Liked 1305 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Thanks Quentin, he quoted me $119.50 OTD which seems to be within the range of what I'd pay if I bought a similar one online + shipping & FFL transfer fee. I think I'll get the Stag LPK online though, they seem popular.
That is a very competitive price. My LGS's best price is ~$130 - $135 out the door, which includes the WI background check fee, taxes, etc.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:41 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1147 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
That is a very competitive price. My LGS's best price is ~$130 - $135 out the door, which includes the WI background check fee, taxes, etc.
$119 is a decent price at a LGS. I paid $130 for my S&W and $120 for my ArmaLite and $109 for a Charles Daly. Just depends on what they have in stock and what price. I like the looks of the Stag lower but some people don't like the Stag's head. Works for me better than a spider or snake.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek