Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First New AR Build - What Stripped Lower is Best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default First New AR Build - What Stripped Lower is Best?

I'm starting my first build of an AR in 5.56 beginning with a stripped lower. What stripped lowers are the best value? Are there any significant differences between all the various manufacturers or is it more important about what parts you put inside when you assemble the lower? It's all very confusing.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5110 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

My opinion it really just boils down to what label you want on the side. Most lowers and uppers are made by only a few suppliers regardless of the stampings.

My main ar is a rra lower with a dpms upper using a m16a1 barrel. Works just fine. I think its more about the quality of the bcg, trigger group, and barrel than anything else.

Stay away from super cheap lowers especially the polymer ones. Pretty much long as it is milspec your good to go.

My personal choice is rra lowers.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
My opinion it really just boils down to what label you want on the side. Most lowers and uppers are made by only a few suppliers regardless of the stampings.

My main ar is a rra lower with a dpms upper using a m16a1 barrel. Works just fine. I think its more about the quality of the bcg, trigger group, and barrel than anything else.

Stay away from super cheap lowers especially the polymer ones. Pretty much long as it is milspec your good to go.

My personal choice is rra lowers.
THX, I'm leaning towards the S & W MP-15, Rock River or Yankee Hill versions right now. I'm looking more for a quality end product than just bottom dollar cost.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 07-11-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I use S&W, Spikes Tactical, and Palmetto State Armory...they all work for me.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Uppers come in three main varieties:

Cast; avoid like a one eyed hooker

Forged: suitable and used for majority of builds. RRA, YHM and the others you mentioned are forged.

Billet: once piece of solid metal machined to mil spec lower dimensions...pricey and generally unnecessary for a self built rifle unless you are looking for a show piece.

Any of the brands that you mentioned would do just fine. There may be minor blemishes, finish overruns and mill marks on the lower end lowers but none of that effects performance or reliability. The lower just holds the parts together and, as you mentioned, the parts are more critical to a smooth operating rifle.

Have fun...welcome to the club. BTW, check out the threads and stickies in the AR forum...lots of good stuff there.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

PS...I used a YHM lower on my build and am pleased with it. Got it on gunbroker for under $100. Recently noticed the PSA lower on slickguns for $49, others here have used them and I am tempted to pick one up just to have it.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

All good advice so far. When it comes to lower receivers, they really are not hyper important to the overall build. They are a cut, aluminum device to hold working, moving parts in formation.

As long as you don't buy one from Earl's World of Donuts and AR Shop, you will be fine.

JD

Old 07-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #8

Liked 923 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 897

You might want to look at the sticky above with lower receiver pictures. Choose one you really like or one at a good price. Of the four in the immediate family, S&W, ArmaLite, Charles Daly and Sun Devil, I like the S&W the best but so far I haven't run into a bad lower. Just stay with milspec and aluminum, which most lowers are. I tend to kick in a little more for a lower that strikes my fancy since it's a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost of the build.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
THX, I'm leaning towards the S & W MP-15, Rock River or Yankee Hill versions right now. I'm looking more for a quality end product than just bottom dollar cost.

i bought a s@w 15 lower the other day, it looks amazing, the quality finish is beautiful. the laser engraving is well peice of art in my mind. you will be pleased

Old 07-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #10

I just bought a Spikes tactical stripped lower and slap a PSA MOE LPK on it and everything fits perfectly without any problem. You can get it for only $80 shipped from aimsurplus. PSA is having a sale on their stripped lower as well for only $49 + $7 shipping. I heard many good reviews about those.