Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   First New AR Build - What Stripped Lower is Best? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-new-ar-build-what-stripped-lower-best-45029/)

Snakedriver 07-11-2011 04:10 PM

First New AR Build - What Stripped Lower is Best?

I'm starting my first build of an AR in 5.56 beginning with a stripped lower. What stripped lowers are the best value? Are there any significant differences between all the various manufacturers or is it more important about what parts you put inside when you assemble the lower? It's all very confusing. :confused:

JonM 07-11-2011 04:19 PM

My opinion it really just boils down to what label you want on the side. Most lowers and uppers are made by only a few suppliers regardless of the stampings.

My main ar is a rra lower with a dpms upper using a m16a1 barrel. Works just fine. I think its more about the quality of the bcg, trigger group, and barrel than anything else.

Stay away from super cheap lowers especially the polymer ones. Pretty much long as it is milspec your good to go.

My personal choice is rra lowers.

Snakedriver 07-11-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 538856)
My opinion it really just boils down to what label you want on the side. Most lowers and uppers are made by only a few suppliers regardless of the stampings.

My main ar is a rra lower with a dpms upper using a m16a1 barrel. Works just fine. I think its more about the quality of the bcg, trigger group, and barrel than anything else.

Stay away from super cheap lowers especially the polymer ones. Pretty much long as it is milspec your good to go.

My personal choice is rra lowers.

THX, I'm leaning towards the S & W MP-15, Rock River or Yankee Hill versions right now. I'm looking more for a quality end product than just bottom dollar cost.

Car54 07-11-2011 05:05 PM

I use S&W, Spikes Tactical, and Palmetto State Armory...they all work for me.

Jpyle 07-11-2011 05:36 PM

Uppers come in three main varieties:

Cast; avoid like a one eyed hooker

Forged: suitable and used for majority of builds. RRA, YHM and the others you mentioned are forged.

Billet: once piece of solid metal machined to mil spec lower dimensions...pricey and generally unnecessary for a self built rifle unless you are looking for a show piece.

Any of the brands that you mentioned would do just fine. There may be minor blemishes, finish overruns and mill marks on the lower end lowers but none of that effects performance or reliability. The lower just holds the parts together and, as you mentioned, the parts are more critical to a smooth operating rifle.

Have fun...welcome to the club. BTW, check out the threads and stickies in the AR forum...lots of good stuff there.

Jpyle 07-11-2011 05:42 PM

PS...I used a YHM lower on my build and am pleased with it. Got it on gunbroker for under $100. Recently noticed the PSA lower on slickguns for $49, others here have used them and I am tempted to pick one up just to have it.

Dillinger 07-11-2011 06:16 PM

All good advice so far. When it comes to lower receivers, they really are not hyper important to the overall build. They are a cut, aluminum device to hold working, moving parts in formation.

As long as you don't buy one from Earl's World of Donuts and AR Shop, you will be fine.:cool:

JD

Quentin 07-11-2011 07:01 PM

You might want to look at the sticky above with lower receiver pictures. Choose one you really like or one at a good price. Of the four in the immediate family, S&W, ArmaLite, Charles Daly and Sun Devil, I like the S&W the best but so far I haven't run into a bad lower. Just stay with milspec and aluminum, which most lowers are. I tend to kick in a little more for a lower that strikes my fancy since it's a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost of the build.

moneymaker17 07-11-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakedriver (Post 538877)
THX, I'm leaning towards the S & W MP-15, Rock River or Yankee Hill versions right now. I'm looking more for a quality end product than just bottom dollar cost.

i bought a s@w 15 lower the other day, it looks amazing, the quality finish is beautiful. the laser engraving is well peice of art in my mind. you will be pleased

luan87us 07-11-2011 09:11 PM

I just bought a Spikes tactical stripped lower and slap a PSA MOE LPK on it and everything fits perfectly without any problem. You can get it for only $80 shipped from aimsurplus. PSA is having a sale on their stripped lower as well for only $49 + $7 shipping. I heard many good reviews about those.